Earlier this week, ESPN’s Mel Kiper and Todd McShay got together and did a three-round, alternating mock draft between the two of them (Insider). The tone of this particular mock draft is supposed to be more interesting. In each of their regular/individual mock drafts, Kiper and McShay might shuffle players around to come out with a first round that appeases everybody or is a general crowd-pleaser. For this alternating mock draft, Kiper and McShay acted like they were truly on the clock with each pick, with incorporates a greater sense of realism into the mock draft.
Here is how things went down for the Browns’ draft picks:
1. QB Josh Allen - Mel Kiper - “It’s going to be a quarterback here, and Allen has the tools to be a superstar. He’s the top quarterback on my board.”
4. DE Bradley Chubb - Todd McShay - “Chubb is a terrific all-around player and the top defensive prospect on my board. Slide him in opposite Myles Garrett and that’s a terrifying pass-rushing duo.”
33. RB Derrius Guice - Mel Kiper - “C’mon, McShay. I have Guice rated higher than Michel. The Browns get their quarterback, running back and an elite pass-rusher with their first three picks.”
35. OT Geron Christian - Mel Kiper - “As I noted in my projection of the perfect Browns class, I wouldn’t be shocked if Christian was a starting left tackle in Week 1 this season.”
64. DT B.J. Hill - Todd McShay - “I think Kiper forgot about Hill, my 46th-ranked player. He’s a good value here.”
N/A (Browns do not own a third-round pick)
These guys have stayed consistent throughout all of their mock drafts with which quarterback they prefer for the Browns at No. 1 overall. If you’re not a fan of Josh Allen, that means Cleveland was stuck with him simply by virtue of Mel Kiper getting the draw to pick first. Todd McShay gave the Browns Bradley Chubb at No. 4 overall, with the Giants having taken RB Saquon Barkley at No. 2 and the Jets going with QB Sam Darnold at No. 3.