According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Plain Dealer, general manager John Dorsey has started to make changes to the team’s personnel department, including to some long-time staff. The departures include:
- Bobby Vega, Director of College Scouting (13 years)
- Chistom Opara, Director of Player Personnel (13 years)
- Patrick Moore, Area Scout (5 years)
- Scott Levin, Area Scout (4 years)
- Zac Bocian, Area Scout (15 years)
- Keegan Leyrer, Scouting Assistant
Replacing Vega as Director of College Scouting will be Steve Malin, who was previously a national scout for the New Orleans Saints. Malin was with the New York Giants for 15 years as a regional scout and spent some time at the XFL level before that.
The other news is that Scot McCloughan, who was brought in as a special consultant for the Browns leading up to the 2018 NFL Draft, is “no longer exclusive to the Browns” and is “back consulting for multiple teams through his business.”
Any time there is a change in general manager, there is the possibility of that person wanting to bring in their own guys, and doing so in the month after the draft is not uncommon.