Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 2 (7/27/18)
1. Trying to Attract a Free Agent: The Browns held about 15 tryouts earlier in the day on Friday, including for CB Adam Jones. The team had 3 roster spots open on their 90-man roster and ended up signing 2 players, as reported earlier. One couldn’t help but notice CB Bashaud Breeland in Berea, though — he was on the field at first before heading inside with GM John Dorsey.
2. Bicycle Brigade Kicks Off: The last Friday of the month during the summer is Ride Your Bike to Work Day for RTA buses in Cleveland, and the bicycles were also in full gear in Berea. Training camp means you have to get accustom to players getting the day off basically, whether it be to heal up or just to simple rest. Here is Friday’s crew:
#Browns brigade: LB Jamie Collins, RG Kevin Zeitler, C JC Tretter, WR Damion Ratley, S Jabrill Peppers— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) July 27, 2018
With two starting offensive linemen out, that meant C Austin Reiter and RG Spencer Drango got to run with the first-team offense.
3. Duke Continues to Work With Receivers: Before practice, RB Duke Johnson was asked about him working heavily with the wide receivers on Day 1. He said that he is definitely practicing with them more and showing that he’s capable of doing the things that a receiver does, but he is not sure whether that will transfer to games on Sunday (with respect to his role).
4. Kirksey Taking on Engagement Role: The first two days of camp, one thing that has stood out outside the whistle is the level of engagement that LB Christian Kirksey is taking. He led the team huddle before practice on Friday, and once again took time during practice to visit and embrace some of the fans in attendance:
5. Drill of the Day: You know we like to point out fun drills, so here goes the one from today: quarterbacks literally trying to drop passes in the bucket. I have seen similar drills in the past where quarterbacks try to get it into a net from a far range and over an obstacle, but I haven’t quite seen it set up like this before. Side note: don’t those bleachers look like they belong in Green Bay?
6. Cart Out for Greg Robinson: During practice, the cart had to come out for OT Greg Robinson. After practice, head coach Hue Jackson said he got hit in the head, so he is being evaluated for a concussion. The other player who left practice was DT Caleb Brantley, who had cramps for the second day in a row.
7. The Catch-22 on a Big Play: The awkward part of celebrating big plays at training camp is that they come at the expense of a player on defense who you’ll be relying on. On Friday, the big play of the day came with WR Jarvis Landry putting a heck of a move on CB T.J. Carrie to absolutely toast him in a 1-on-1 drill:
Daryl Ruiter of 92.3 the Fan said that afterward, Landry went up to Carrie and put his arm around him.
8. Other Plays of Note: The other plays that reporters made note of during practice were:
- QB Tyrod Taylor throwing a deep pass for WR Antonio Callaway, but CB Terrance Mitchell coming away with the interception.
- In an 11-on-11 goal line drill, QB Baker Mayfield fired it in to TE Seth DeValve:
Highlight of goal line 11-on-11: Baker Mayfield fired a pass to back line of end zone, where Seth DeValve tapped his feet inside boundary for a touchdown.— PatMcManamon (@PatMcManamon) July 27, 2018
- QB Tyrod Taylor found TE David Njoku in goal line drills, leading to his infamous touchdown celebration:
And in case the one reader wonders again — no, there is 0% of me that is trying to make any type of bias when it comes to the quarterback situation. I am 100% on board with Taylor starting.
9. Brownies: LB Mychal Kendricks took part in team drills for the first time this offseason and was with the first-team defense. ... 13 more puppies were adopted, bringing the total to 24 over two days. ... Cleveland ended the day by practicing the victory formation. ... Head coach Hue Jackson said he hopes that SS Jabrill Peppers can start practicing in the next week. ... After practice, QB Tyrod Taylor and WR Jarvis Landry still wanted to get some extra work in.
10. Next Up: Practice continues Saturday in Berea, from 2:35 PM to 5:30 PM. Head coach Hue Jackson announced that the team will practice in pads for the first time.