The pads were cracking on Saturday for Day 3 of Cleveland Browns training camp. Our full practice report summary is below.
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 3 (7/28/18)
1. Now the Crackalackin’ Starts: Saturday was the first day of Browns training camp that saw the players put the pads on. HBO’s Hard Knocks gave a teaser of what head coach Hue Jackson said before practice started about it: “So now we get on some pads, huh? Woo! Now the crackalackin’ starts.” It didn’t take long for that term to become widely used among the reporters in attendance.
LB Christian Kirksey once again led the team huddle to kick off practice, telling his peers to “be smart, but go hard — learn how to practice like pros.”
2. Drill of the Day: We’re always good for seeing DE Myles Garrett leaping through the air to tackle a dummy, right? Also, it’s out excuse for mentioning Garrett’s name for the first time this camp.
That’s not all the defensive line did, as they went at the sleds hard too.
3. Return Groups: Before practice started, WR Antonio Callaway and WR Evan Berry were fielding punts as SS Jabrill Peppers watched alongside them. WR Corey Coleman and CB Terrance Mitchell also got some work in that area.
After practice started, the players getting punt return reps were Callaway, WR Jarvis Landry, WR Da’Mari Scott and WR C.J. Board.
4. SIREN PERIOD! Head coach Hue Jackson was asked yesterday if the pads going on meant that the siren period (i.e. live tackling) would also make its debut on Saturday. He was coy about it, but sure enough, an hour into Day 3 of practice, the sirens went off — and that meant it was time to get serious. Unfortunately, video of this period typically isn’t available due to media restrictions.
5. Corey Coleman’s Ups and Downs: One of the players who has kind of had the spotlight on them in camp, both for good and bad reasons, is WR Corey Coleman. That continued on Day 3 of camp. On the plus side, Coleman reportedly had a “sensational diving catch” against CB T.J. Carrie in 1-on-1 drills. Carrie made up for it the next time the two squared off, batting a ball away with tight coverage.
Coleman made a good grab on a slant pass from QB Tyrod Taylor. But he caught the wrath of offensive coordinator Todd Haley, who showed that defensive coordinator Gregg Williams isn’t the only one who curses in camp. Jordan Zirm of ESPN said that Haley chastised Coleman for night fighting through a hold by CB T.J. Carrie to try to make a play on a deep ball.
Todd Haley just had a long, animated exchange with Corey Coleman over Corey not fighting hard enough through a hold from the DB he was going against.— Jordan Zirm (@clevezirm) July 28, 2018
“You go make the f*cking play anyway,” Haley said
6. Alignment to Watch: According to Jake Burns of The OBR, one of the interesting alignments that Cleveland showed up front had DT Trevon Coley and DE Emmanual Ogbah, with DE Myles Garrett and ILB Genard Avery in 2 point stances on the outside.
In general, Burns also reports that the first-team defensive tackles have been Trevon Coley and Jamie Meder, and the second-team defensive tackles are Larry Ogunjobi and Caleb Brantley. Brantley made it through practice today not having to leave with cramps. Speaking of Ogunjobi, here he is making a nice play stuffing RB Nick Chubb on a tackle:
the aforementioned run bust by Ogunjobi pic.twitter.com/ottIvp1slJ— Jordan Zirm (@clevezirm) July 28, 2018
7. Bernie Makes an Appearance: If you love seeing QB Bernie Kosar, then Saturday was your chance to see him up close. You can see him below standing alongside owner Dee Haslam.
8. Overall QB Impressions: From reading camp reports, the overall impressions of the quarterbacks today were that both players look solid in general, but that Saturday wasn’t QB Tyrod Taylor’s day. QB Baker Mayfield was more on target. Both players got more reps since veteran QB Drew Stanton had the day off. Stanton did explain that the RV was his idea and that they got Mayfield to purchase it.
9. Brownies: With OT Greg Robinson sidelined with a concussion, rookie OL Austin Corbett worked with the second-team offense at left tackle. ... Per Jake Burns of The OBR, WR Jeff Janis is “as advertised as a ‘gunner’ on punt team and can flat out fly.” ... OLB Jamie Collins took part in team drills for the first time, while LB Mychal Kendricks got a day of rest. ... If you are looking to see a scrimmage practice, head coach Hue Jackson said the Browns will “scrimmage” in Berea on Friday. ... Even Jackson is getting friendly with the fans this camp, taking photos with a couple of fans who were calling out to him after practice.
10. Next Up: Practice continues Sunday in Berea, from 3:00 PM to 5:55 PM.