Day 4 of Cleveland Browns training camp saw a day of redemption for WR Corey Coleman and some highlights from other receivers too. Our full practice report summary is below.
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 4 (7/29/18)
1. Tim Couch Shows Off the Guns: One of the funner stories on Day 4 of training camp involved former No. 1 overall pick Tim Couch in attendance. He finally makes his return to Cleveland this year to call preseason games, and everyone couldn’t help but notice how absolutely ripped he looks. Also tagging along with Couch was ESPN’s Jay Crawford, who will be calling the games with Couch.
This is the first time Couch has been in Berea since he was a player, which was presumably around January 2004. Another big guest in attendance was Jim Tressel, who was seen on the field talking with GM John Dorsey. Owner Jimmy Haslam was also out and about during practice.
2. Day Off Group: Besides the players on injury lists, Sunday featured the most players receiving the day off from practice so far: RB Duke Johnson, TE Darren Fells, C J.C. Tretter, RG Kevin Zeitler, DE Myles Garrett, and OLB Jamie Collins.
3. Drops Add Up for Njoku: Last year, drops plagued TE David Njoku during training camp and then carried over to the regular season. Sunday was not Njoku’s day, as he reportedly dropped three straight passes (and had a fourth drop somewhere else), which drew a “prolonged storm of F-bombs” from offensive coordinator Todd Haley, per Zac Jackson of The Athletic. Afterward, Jackson says that TE Darren Fells tried offering some words of support for the second-year tight end.
4. DeValve Leaves Early With Big Wrap: Continuing the bad day for tight ends, mid-way through practice, TE Seth DeValve was checked out by an athletic trainer and then had a huge wrap on his upper right leg. The team later reported it to be a quad injury.
5. Some Love for the Receivers: After missing two practices with a hip injury, WR Damion Ratley made his return to practice. Overall, the reports were very positive for all of the Browns’ receivers on Sunday, particularly WR Corey Coleman and WR Rashard Higgins.
Coleman especially gained brownie points for what everyone is calling his best and most consistent day of practice. According to head coach Hue Jackson, Coleman turned down the opportunity to have the day off, and it paid dividends:
Jackson says Corey Coleman was originally scheduled to get an off day but told coaches he wanted to be out there. Had probably his best day so far.— Andrew Gribble (@Andrew_Gribble) July 29, 2018
6. Wide Receiver Video Highlights: You can click here to see a clip of a nice comeback route for WR Rashard Higgins, working against rookie DB Simeon Thomas. The play of the day also belonged to Higgins, though, as he went up high against CB Denzel Rice to make a long catch:
WR Jarvis Landry reportedly beat CB T.J. Carrie in 1-on-1 drills on yet another double move, but was overthrown by Mayfield. And lastly, here is WR Damion Ratley winning a 1-on-1 battle against Thomas on a deep pass from QB Baker Mayfield:
7. Ice Tubs Make Their Return: After practice, the infamous ice tubs made their return, and as the Browns’ Twitter account poked fun at, rookie RB Nick Chubb did not approve:
8. Jason La Canfora Says: CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora was live in Berea, and here were his observations from practice:
Being around Browns camp for a day now, do not get the sense anything is cooking with them and Dez Bryant— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) July 29, 2018
Been plenty of times during Browns practice when both Tyrod Taylor and Baker Mayfield have made big plays. Tyrod's touch on the fades and deep stuff has stood out. Too many drops by Njoku. Corey Coleman is flashing. And Browns seem very comfortable with Calloway, too— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) July 29, 2018
9. Brownies: Per Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal, WR Derrick Willies beat CB Terrance Mitchell on a deep pass from QB Baker Mayfield. ... Head coach Hue Jackson had high praise for Mayfield after practice. ... Hard Knocks reportedly wanted to get a peek at the RV, but the rookie quarterback said “that’s a sacred place,” per Daryl Ruiter of 92.3 the Fan. ... The siren drill was active again and LB Mychal Kendricks had a tackle for a loss. ... A total of 41 puppies have been adopted at the Browns Puppy Pound at training camp this year.
10. Next Up: Practice continues Monday in Berea, from 2:35 PM to 5:30 PM. I will be in attendance as a fan.