Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 12 (8/12/18)
1. Seth DeValve Returns: It’s been several days since the Browns last practiced, so that makes the latest injury news one of the top headlines to start Day 12. TE Seth DeValve returning to action was the most notable change as the Browns get ready to take on the Buffalo Bills this Friday. DL Trevon Coley, RG Kevin Zeitler, and FB Danny Vitale remain idle. Other players returning to practice include LB Justin Currie and OT Desmond Harrison. Harrison will be looking to challenge for that backup left tackle role.
2. Drill of the Day: In individual drills, here are Cleveland’s defensive linemen getting work in driving players back.
3. Mixing Things Up with BBC: I’m pretty sure that DB Briean Boddy-Calhoun is still in Gregg Williams’ plans defensively this year, and Dan Labbe of Cleveland.com pointed out this alignment between he and Damarious Randall:
Interesting alignment note. Browns just ran a set with Randall at nickel and Boddy-Calhoun as deep safety. Can do some things with the versatility in secondary.— Dan Labbe (@dan_labbe) August 12, 2018
4. Njoku on a Roll: Enough bagging on TE David Njoku’s woes from earlier in camp, right? Per Fred Greetham of The OBR, Njoku caught a sideline pass and then sprinted past three defenders for a score:
#Browns David Njoku continues to make plays as he caught sideline pattern and out ran 3 defenders to the end zone.— Fred Greetham (@FredGreetham) August 12, 2018
5. More Action for Higgins: WR Rashard Higgins continue to thrive in camp. Here he is catching a seam pass from QB Baker Mayfield. In another clip, Higgins makes a great move to beat his defender, but QB Tyrod Taylor’s pass is a bit off downfield.
6. Simeon Thomas Trying to Make a Name: One of the rookies trying to stand out in camp is DB Simeon Thomas, and here he is with tight coverage on WR Antonio Callaway to knock the ball away.
Nice coverage from Thomas on Callaway. Little handsy but you do what you have to. pic.twitter.com/ILIWe9zLYZ— BrownsFilmBreakdown (@BrownsFilmBDN) August 12, 2018
7. Myles Garrett vs. Joel Bitonio: Credit to Jake Burns of The OBR for a bunch of great individual clips from today’s practice. We’ve been wondering about some visual evidence of the battle between DE Myles Garrett and LT Joel Bitonio, and here is a clip of Garrett using a spin move to get the best of him:
Bitonio takes on Garrett again here.
8. Brownies: According to Daryl Ruiter of 92.3 the Fan, WR Antonio Callaway appeared to tweak something and didn’t seem to be going 100%, and head coach Hue Jackson later called it a rib injury. ... Zac Jackson of The Athletic thinks that WR Damion Ratley’s speed might be too good to get away with stashing him on the practice squad. ... A total of 114 puppies have been adopted at the Browns Puppy Pound at training camp this year.
9. Next Up: The Browns’ next practice is Monday from 3:00 PM to 5:55 PM. There are just three more practices open to the public.