- Browns still evaluating fit with Dez Bryant (clevelandbrowns.com) - The Browns hosted Dez Byrant on a visit as they continue to court the veteran wide receiver. The former Cowboys star visited the team’s facility Thursday as the two sides determine whether the pairing would make a good fit.
- Cleveland’s shot to join the “biggest turnaround ever club” (ESPN) - The Cleveland Browns are surely hoping to pull off a ‘99 Colts or an ‘08 Dolphins. Those are the only two teams since 1970 that have made a 10-win improvement from one year to the next. And while a 10-win jump from the hapless, zero-win 2017 campaign seems like a near impossibility, there is certainly some preseason buzz that this Browns team could at least win some games in 2018. And the ”Hard Knocks” bump has barely even kicked in!
- Denzel Ward, Jarvis Landry fined for penalties in preseason opener (ohio.com) - Browns players Denzel Ward and Jarvis Landry were fined by the NFL for unsportsmanlike conduct in last week’s 20-10, preseason-opening win over the New York Giants. Ward was docked $10,026. Landry was fined $13,369.
- How Isaiah Wynn’s injury affects Patriots offensive line (NESN) - If it wasn’t already apparent, the New England Patriots were wise to trade for offensive tackle Trent Brown. Brown has looked powerful with surprising agility in training camp and preseason as the Patriots’ starting left tackle, and it’s clear now he’ll be in that role all season, assuming good health. Patriots first-round pick Isaiah Wynn, who was receiving reps at left tackle and right tackle in training camp, reportedly suffered a season-ending injury Thursday night when he tore his Achilles in New England’s preseason win over the Philadelphia Eagles.
- Seahawks release Marcus Smith for personal reasons (Seattle Times) - Marcus Smith entered training camp three weeks ago expected to play a key role on the Seahawks’ defensive line this season — particularly as a pass rusher, one of the team’s biggest question marks. Friday, his contract was terminated under somewhat mysterious circumstances.
- Who are the NFL’s true franchise quarterbacks? (NFL.com) - When Jalen Ramsey shared his thoughts with GQ Magazine on the current crop of NFL quarterbacks, he probably didn’t expect to set the Twitterverse on fire. Or maybe he did. When it comes to expressing opinions, Ramsey isn’t exactly sheepish.
- Nick Foles reportedly gets good news about shoulder (CBS Sports) - The Philadelphia Eagles are probably relieved that quarterback Nick Foles avoided a serious injury during Thursday night’s preseason contest against the Patriots. According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, tests showed that Foles’ shoulder injury is “minor” and the Eagles “don’t expect any prolonged recovery.”