The Cleveland Browns held another training camp session on Saturday as they get ready to head into the week of their first preseason game. Our full practice report summary is below.
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 9 (8/4/18)
1. Scrimmage Day - Light Edition: I was wondering why Saturday’s practice was also only scheduled to be 1.5 hours long, and it turns out it was a scrimmage day too. The big difference from Friday’s scrimmage is that no tackling was permitted on Saturday.
2. Tyrod & Landry Stay Hot: On the first drive of the day, QB Tyrod Taylor found WR Antonio Callaway for a 56-yard connection, which helped set up a 4-yard touchdown pass to WR Jarvis Landry. After practice, head coach Hue Jackson said he had given Landry a “semi-day off,” as the receiver has refused days off to this point.
Hue Jackson running a mock game today. Tyrod Taylor leads 9-play TD drive v 2 D capped by 4 yards to Jarvis Landry. Big play was Tyrod to Antonio Callaway deep up the sideline after Callaway had a drop over the middle on previous play.— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 4, 2018
Here are the plays by Callaway — both the drop and deep connection:
Callaway with a drop, but he makes up for it on the bomb. Shout out to the kids in front on the commentary #Browns pic.twitter.com/zPmCGHST8y— Orange and Brown Rpt (@TheOBR) August 4, 2018
3. Mayfield Gets Pick Six’ed: QB Baker Mayfield threw his second interception in as many days, and this time it was a screen pass over the middle that “went wrong.” Not only did LB Joe Schobert make the interception, he returned it for a touchdown. This was the second-team offense against the first-team defense, so this continues the general domination by the first-team defense, even despite DE Myles Garrett having the day off.
4. Notable Offensive Line Change: I had a feeling this was coming. Per Scott Petrak of the Chronicle-Telegram, it appears that Greg Robinson is now the second-team left tackle, with Shon Coleman moving back over to right tackle. Given what I deem to be Coleman’s fair performance at right tackle a year ago, I have to wonder if there is any change he’ll be traded this preseason.
#Browns Greg Robinson elevated to 2nd-team LT. Shon Coleman to No. 2 RT.— Scott Petrak ct (@ScottPetrak) August 4, 2018
5. More Interceptions for the Defense: According to Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal, the Browns’ defense picked up a couple more interceptions before the day was done. One of them came when CB Mike Jordan intercepted a deep pass by QB Tyrod Taylor intended for WR C.J. Board. The other came on a pass by QB Brogan Roback, intended for WR Blake Jackson; CB T.J. Carrie came away with that one.
6. Drill of the Day: Since it was a scrimmage day, there weren’t many drills, but Mary Kay Cabot of the Plain Dealer showed the quarterbacks working with their receivers at the end of the session:
Some end of practice passing drills at #Browns training camp pic.twitter.com/ziasEOVo8A— Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) August 4, 2018
7. Ice Tubs Return: Even with the day off, DE Myles Garrett was loving the ice bath (notice the sleeve on his right knee) along with DT Larry Ogunjobi.
.@Mr_Ogunjobi and @MylesLGarrett don’t seem to mind the cold tubs #BrownsCamp pic.twitter.com/QY9Sp8R5YA— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) August 4, 2018
8. Injury Recap: It has been awhile since we have provided a comprehensive list of everyone who is missing practice due to injury, so let’s take a look at that:
LB Genard Avery (groin), DL Caleb Brantley (thigh), DL Trevon Coley (ankle), LB Justin Currie (concussion), TE Seth DeValve (quad), DL Daniel Ekuale (calf), OL Desmond Harrison (toe-PUP) and OL Kevin Zeitler (calf).
9. Brownies: Former Browns safety Earl Little was in attendance. ... Regarding the tandem of Joel Bitonio at left tackle and Austin Corbett at left guard, Hue Jackson said “That is the start to something good.” ... A total of 88 puppies have been adopted at the Browns Puppy Pound at training camp this year. ... WR Corey Coleman may have tweaked his hamstring during practice and did not participate in the late-day individual drills.
10. Next Up: The Browns are off Sunday, and will practice on Monday from 3:00 PM to 5:55 PM.