The Cleveland Browns were back to practice on Monday after having had Sunday off, and the news of Corey Coleman’s trade to the Buffalo Bills loomed large. Our full practice report summary is below.
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 11 (8/7/18)
1. Callaway News Breaks During Practice: If you haven't heard the news already, the news broke just as training camp started today that WR Antonio Callaway got caught driving with a suspended license and with marijuana in his car early Sunday morning.
Head coach Hue Jackson said he just learned about the situation today, and it's possible the team didn't even know prior to practice starting. Callaway was catching passes and fielding punts as if it was just another day on the field.
Antonio Callaway on the field today. pic.twitter.com/jivbBxFyh0— Dan Labbe (@dan_labbe) August 7, 2018
Nathan Zegura of Browns.com said that Callaway was running with the first-team offense and scored a touchdown on a reverse at the goal line.
2. No Roster Move Needed for Gordon: According to multiple reports, the Browns left WR Josh Gordon on the Did Not Report list, but it will not impact his free agent status. The news broke just as training camp was wrapping up for the day:
#Browns worked through the process on WR Josh Gordon’s status & learned they do not need to make a roster move to ensure he gets an accrued season — There’s an exception to the rule if a player fails to report due illness or hardship. No move coming, but Gordon will get his year.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) August 7, 2018
3. Solid Reviews for Bitonio: So far, so good for LT Joel Bitonio, who will not see excess reps at the position during the preseason despite being new to it. Per Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Bitonio has been doing a fine job containing DE Myles Garrett, to which the defensive end had a priceless response:
4. Big Day for Peppers: Per Scott Petrak of the Chronicle-Telegram, SS Jabrill Peppers had a big day with two interceptions and nearly had a third.
5. Brownies: FB Danny Vitale missed practice with a calf injury. CB Denzel Ward broke up a pass thrown by QB Drew Stanton. DB Briean Boddy-Calhoun intercepted a pass down the sideline while manning the free safety position. ... Former Browns WR Paul Warfield was at camp.
6. Next Up: The Browns are off on Wednesday, as they get ready to head to New York on Thursday for their first preseason game.