UPDATE (9/2/18): The Browns made 5 waiver claims (and thus 5 more cuts) on Sunday, so the “new” 53-man roster can be found here. The original 53-man roster story appears below:
The following players were cut by the Cleveland Browns on Saturday, trimming their roster from 71 players to the league-required 53 players. Make sure you react to all of the cuts in the comments section below! The final 53-man roster is also at the bottom of this post.
OFFENSIVE PLAYERS CUT
- RB Matthew Dayes - Had a strong final preseason game, team would love to get him back on the practice squad.
- RB Dontrell Hilliard
- FB Danny Vitale - Waived/Injured designation. The team is going without a traditional fullback, but veteran TE Orson Charles may take on that role.
- WR Da’Mari Scott
- WR Blake Jackson
- TE Devon Cajuste - The Hard Knocks darling didn’t make it, but could be a practice squad candidate.
- OL Spencer Drango - Drango has always been intended to be a backup, but he’s made a lot of starts the past few years due to injuries. Last year, he replaced Joe Thomas at left tackle. At playing nearly every snap this preseason while Kevin Zeitler was out, they decided to keep veteran Earl Watford (recently signed) instead.
- OL Christian DiLauro
DEFENSIVE PLAYERS CUT
- DL Nate Orchard - His final pick six against the Lions wasn’t enough. Orchard, a former 2nd-round pick, was a longshot last year, but stuck around for depth. Not in 2018.
- DL Caleb Brantley - Probably the biggest “cut” on the list. He was often hurt this camp, and has a history of motivational issues. Maybe that was OK with Sashi Brown, but not with John Dorsey.
- DL Zaycoven Henderson
- DL Daniel Ekuale
- LB Brady Sheldon
- LB B.J. Bello
- S Simeon Thomas - The only one of John Dorsey’s draft picks who was waived. He played tight coverage this preseason, but used his hands way too much. Should be a practice squad candidate.
- S Montrel Meander
- S Tigie Sankoh
- CB Mike Jordan - One of two cornerback holdovers from a year ago, he saw some increased reps lately, but the team opted to keep their new guys instead like T.J. Carrie and E.J. Gaines.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYERS CUT
- P Justin Vogel
- Acquired DL Devaroe Lawrence from the Saints in exchange for a 2019 7th round pick.
FINAL 53-MAN ROSTER (as of 9/1/18)
|Pos||Final Roster||Friday & Saturday Cuts|
The following players do not count toward the 53-man roster:
- Injured Reserve: WR Ricardo Louis, CB Howard Wilson