- Browns cornerbacks seek redemption (Beacon Journal) - Attack the ball. It’s the battle cry of Browns cornerbacks Denzel Ward, Greedy Williams and TJ Carrie after Pittsburgh Steelers undrafted rookie quarterback Devlin Hodges tormented them in the deep passing game during Sunday’s 20-13 loss at Heinz Field.
- Meet the players filling big shoes on the defensive line (cleveland.com) - The Browns have found themselves in a tough position on their defensive line. Injuries and suspensions have left them missing key starters. Myles Garrett is gone for at least the rest of the season. Larry Ogunjobi was suspended for a game against Miami. Olivier Vernon is working his way back from a knee injury and was limited to 10 snaps last Sunday.
- David Njoku excited to return against the Bengals (Browns Zone) - The wait was excruciating for tight end David Njoku. It’s about to come to an end. The Browns are expected to activate him from injured reserve Saturday so he’s eligible to play Sunday against the Bengals at FirstEnergy Stadium.
- Browns rule out 1 player, list 4 starters as questionable vs. Bengals (clevelandbrowns.com) - The Browns had nearly one-third of the 53-man roster on the injury report this week but only a handful will carry an injury status into Sunday’s game against the Bengals.
- The next wave of NFL head coaches: Names and trends to know for 2020 (ESPN) - History tells us to expect six-to-eight openings (even though history also tells us teams don’t help themselves by turning over coaches so frequently), and so the attention of fans in places where the coach is on thin ice turns to, “Who can we get?”
- How the erratic Adam Gase nearly got two Dolphins traded last season (NY Daily News) - The maddening world of Adam Gase requires pivoting at a moment’s notice, learning to cope with fickleness and resigning yourself to an ever-changing reality. Consider the curious cases of Dolphins wide receiver DeVante Parker and Albert Wilson, who were in Gase’s line of fire when he was in charge in Miami.
- Cowboys have interest in Urban Meyer (CBS Sports) - Whenever/If ever the Cowboys do launch a full scale search for a new head coach, you can count Urban Meyer in as one with a viable chance at landing the gig.
- Chiefs’ Breelands Speaks suspended 4 games for violating NFL’s substance-abuse policy (kansascity.com) - Kansas City Chiefs defensive lineman Breeland Speaks will spend the rest of his season on injured reserve serving a league-imposed suspension. The NFL suspended Speaks for four games, according to Friday’s NFL Transactions report.