- Browns following Eagles/Rams blueprint (NFL.com) - The Cleveland Browns have created quite the buzz with their accumulation of blue-chip talent, but I believe they’re simply following a Super Bowl blueprint laid out by the Philadelphia Eagles and Los Angeles Rams. Simply put, the Browns are stockpiling as many all-stars as possible while their franchise quarterback is playing on his rookie deal. The money saved from having a QB1 on a cost-controlled contract allows a franchise to add a number of top-tier players to the roster, thus supporting and elevating a young starter at the game’s most important position.
- Mayfield going to love playing with OBJ and Landry (ESPN) - Baker Mayfield summed up his attitude about Odell Beckham Jr. joining Jarvis Landry in the Cleveland Browns offense this way: Let it rip. ”You could say the same thing about me; you don’t want to tame it,” the Browns quarterback told reporters in the Milwaukee Brewers locker room in Phoenix.
- Kareem Hunt suspended for 8 games (cleveland.com) - The Browns will be without Pro Bowl running back Kareem Hunt for the first eight games of the 2019 season for two physical altercations over the last 13 months, but he can join Baker Mayfield, Odell Beckham Jr. and the rest of the Browns’ explosive offense for the second half of the campaign.
- Who is in the mix for Cleveland’s second-round pick? (clevelandbrowns.com) - It’s been quite a week in Berea, and we’re going to wrap it up by answering four of your questions in the wake of yet another free agent and trade blitz by the Browns to start the league year.
- Tyreek Hill under investigation for alleged battery (Kansas City Star) - The Kansas City Chiefs have confirmed to The Star that they are aware of a law enforcement investigation involving wide receiver Tyreek Hill. The Kansas Department of Children and Families also said it is investigating.
- Dolphins trade Ryan Tannehill to Titans (Miami Herald) - The Dolphins have traded Ryan Tannehill to the Tennessee Titans, ending a seven-year marriage that leaves the team with added draft ammunition but no clear starting quarterback. The Dolphins are sending Tannehill and their sixth-round pick in this year’s draft for the Titans’ seventh-rounder this year and a fourth-round pick in 2020.
- Broncos GM John Elway insists Joe Flacco is still in his prime (AP) - John Elway insists Joe Flacco is at the top of his game at age 34 even though the former Baltimore Ravens quarterback hasn’t thrown a pass in the playoffs since 2015. ”Joe is a perfect fit for us,” Elway said at Flacco’s introductory news conference Friday. “He’s played in a lot of big games, he has a lot of good football left in him. At 34, (I) feel like he’s just really coming into his prime.”
- The starts aligned to bring Tyrod Taylor to the Chargers (chargers.com) - There’s no doubt that Tyrod Taylor is a starting-caliber quarterback in the NFL. His resume speaks for itself, as does his reputation.