The Cleveland Browns kicked off Day 1 of mandatory minicamp on Tuesday. Minicamp will run three days, concluding on Thursday. It will be the team’s final offseason program before training camp commences in late July.
BROWNS’ MINICAMP RECAP - DAY 1 (TUESDAY)
1. Duke Johnson’s Trade Request: Player interviews took place before the start of practice, and the person who dominated the headlines was RB Duke Johnson. He re-iterated his request for a trade, but said that he will be a professional as long as he remains a member of the Browns. You can read the full story here, but head coach Freddie Kitchens also had a fun comment about it:
#Browns head coach Freddie Kitchens minces NO words w/ us on unhappy RB Duke Johnson: “He wants to be traded. I want to win the lottery. It doesn’t matter. He’s under contract. He’s a Cleveland Brown he’s going to be used to the best of his ability in what benefits the team.”— Aditi Kinkhabwala (@AKinkhabwala) June 4, 2019
Johnson took part in practice, too, as you can see him going through a simple walk-through here.
2. Odell Beckham Jr. Takes the Field: I never cared one bit about all of the OTAs that WR Odell Beckham Jr. was getting. Yes, I understand the debates that can be made about building chemistry and setting an example, but let’s be real. We know that Beckham is a proven superstar player, unlike anyone the Browns have had at that position. He gets to do what he wants, and he’s going to fight to be a winner here. When it came time for mandatory minicamp on Tuesday, Beckham was live in the flesh:
Beckham will have his pre-practice interview with the media on Wednesday. Before we move off of Beckham, here is a red zone touchdown for you to enjoy — Mayfield to Beckham:
3. Landry Sitting Out of Minicamp: WR Jarvis Landry has a minor injury that will keep him out of minicamp. He said that no surgery is needed, but did not disclose what the injury is. He expects to be ready for the start of training camp. Per Daryl Ruiter of 92.3 the Fan, here are the other players who did not practice on Tuesday:
On the : DT Devaroe Lawrence, S Morgan Burnett, WR Damion Ratley, WR Derrick Willies, WR Blake Jackson, CB Justin Burris #Browns— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) June 4, 2019
4. Austin Corbett at Starting Right Guard: One of the bigger storylines to come out of OTAs was the fact that Kyle Kalis was running with the first-team offense at right guard as opposed to Austin Corbett. At least for the first day of minicamp, that changed — Corbett was with the first-team offensive line.
Jake Burns of The OBR noted that the second-team offensive line consisted of LT Kendall Lamm, LG Bryan Witzmann, C Brian Kush, RG Kyle Kalis, and RT Brad Seaton.
5. Early Punt Return Candidates: With SS Jabrill Peppers traded to the Giants, some of the early candidates to return punts (based on the first minicamp practice) included WR Antonio Callaway, WR Ishmael Hyman, and WR Damon Sheehy-Guiseppi.
6. Tryout Players: There are still some players trying to make an impression to join the Browns’ roster on a tryout basis. They include the following rookies: WR Micah Wright, WR Darrion Landry, WR Jovon Durante, OT Ka’John Armstrong, and LS James Fisher. First-year player DT Anthony Mason is also trying out, as is fifth-year DT Ethan Westbrooks.
7. Brownies: S Jermaine Whitehead intercepted a pass by QB Baker Mayfield, and CB Denzel Ward got QB Drew Stanton. ... Jake Burns of The OBR believes that based on reps, CB Greedy Williams looked like the “absolute starter” at cornerback alongside Ward. ... Per Ben Axelrod of WKYC, LB Adarius Taylor was with Joe Schobert and Christian Kirksey on the first-team defense, while LB Genard Avery was used as a pass rusher on the second team. ... Axelrod also noted a nice red zone pass that QB Garrett Gilbert fired to WR D.J. Montgomery. ... Rookie K Austin Seibert connected on a 48-yard field goal in a hurry-up situation. ... QB Drew Stanton had a good day:
Drew Stanton quietly having a nice day after what I thought was a strong OTA performance when media was able to view. Ball jumping out of his hand. Has a nice grasp of the offense. #Browns— Jake Burns (@jake_burns18) June 4, 2019
8. Next Up: Day 2 of Browns minicamp will be Wednesday from 2:30 PM to 4:30 PM.