Day 2 of Cleveland Browns mandatory minicamp took place on Wednesday. Let’s get to our recap; the Day 1 recap can be found here.
BROWNS’ MINICAMP RECAP - DAY 2 (WEDNESDAY)
1. Is Someone Speaking? Before today’s practice, WR Odell Beckham Jr. was scheduled to have his first interview with the media in Berea since becoming a member of the Browns. As you can tell, quite the crowd turned up to see him:
#Browns media awaiting practice opening. “Either you’re on the train or you’re not.” pic.twitter.com/LdHGYZ5cAN— Tom Withers (@twithersAP) June 5, 2019
The organization pulled a bit of a bait-and-switch, though, by then announcing that Beckham would actually speak after practice. You can watch Beckham’s entire interview here. DT Sheldon Richardson and LB Christian Kirksey spoke before practice.
2. Practice Heads Indoors: Due to rain and thunderstorms in the area, Day 2 of practice headed indoors. Music was playing in the fieldhouse, but the funny part is that as soon as the country music hit, Daryl Ruiter of 92.3 the Fan says that DE Myles Garrett went over to shut it down.
Stretch good, play good pic.twitter.com/ki9Iy70kJO— Dan Labbe (@dan_labbe) June 5, 2019
3. Just Your Average 1-Handed Stab: You have to love how easy WR Odell Beckham Jr. makes it look, stabbing a pass with one-hand in individual drills just for the heck of it. He had special “OBJ” cleats on to start practice before changing over to gold cleats at the end.
A one-handed OBJ catch in individual drills at #Browns minicamp pic.twitter.com/mgPLl8Qgkj— Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) June 5, 2019
4. Greg Joseph Showing Off the Leg: Granted, it was indoors, but K Greg Joseph was impressive, especially from distance. According to Nick Shook of Browns.com, Joseph connected on 4-of-4 field goal attempts, including from 52 and 57 yards. Rookie Austin Seibert, on the other hand, only made 1-of-4 attempts, missing all of the longer kicks.
Daily kicker update: Greg Joseph 4 for 4, including good from 52 and 57, all indoors.— Nick Shook (@TheNickShook) June 5, 2019
5. More Testing at Right Guard: While OL Austin Corbett got the first-team reps at right guard on Tuesday, it was veteran OL Eric Kush who got the first-team reps there on Wednesday. Corbett was the second-team center. Speaking of the offensive line, if you hadn’t heard, the team waived OT Desmond Harrison before practice for a repeated habit of being late.
6. A Sight to See: It’s always fun to see owner Jimmy Haslam taking in practice, and even more so when you see the first (of many to come) shots of him talking to WR Odell Beckham Jr.
Odell Beckham Jr. chatting with Jimmy Haslam pic.twitter.com/RD6gCa2xyP— Jordan Zirm (@clevezirm) June 5, 2019
On the field, QB Baker Mayfield tried to hit Beckham on the sideline, but CB Denzel Ward continued an impressive start to minicamp by nearly coming away with a pick six.
Denzel Ward gets in front of OBJ and almost gets a pick of 6. Almost. #Browns pic.twitter.com/fK03cblTjl— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) June 5, 2019
7. A Little Bit Greedy: CB Greedy Williams continues to do a good job, and nabbed a pick six on QB Baker Mayfield on the first play of two-minute drills. It was Williams’ second interception of the day.
Greedy picks 6. #Browns pic.twitter.com/lYxO4AdUxq— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) June 5, 2019
8. Brownies: WR Antonio Callaway has not been taking any reps with the first-team offense. ... With WR Jarvis Landry getting rest, WR Ish Hyman has been taking first-team reps. ... P Jamie Gillan, “The Scottish Hammer,” was practicing being a holder, something he never did before joining the Browns. ... Cleveland has worked on some setups where LB Genard Avery rushes from the outside while DL Myles Garrett rushes from the interior. ... RB Duke Johnson was part of the kick return team on Day 2, and also lined up at some wide receiver spots.
9. Next Up: Day 2 of Browns minicamp will be Thursday from 10:15 AM to 12:15 PM.
Oh. pic.twitter.com/ExXICTL0t4— Jason Gibbs (@BGSUGibbs) June 5, 2019