Day 3 of Cleveland Browns mandatory minicamp is in the books, and we won’t see the team back on the field until the start of training camp in late-July. Here is what happened to close out minicamp.
BROWNS’ MINICAMP RECAP - DAY 3 (THURSDAY)
1. D-Day Anniversary & Indoors: For the second day in a row, the Browns held practice indoors. It was understandable on Wednesday due to all of the rain and storms in the area, but Thursday was simply a cloudy day with temperatures in the 60s. Shoehorning another subject into this first bullet point, the organization welcomed a veteran who served on D-Day to practice, for the day’s 75th anniversary.
2. The Tale of Right Guard: When Austin Corbett was the right guard with the first-team offense on the first day of minicamp, you had to wonder if the second-year man was being designated the early favorite to win the starting job there. That diminished over the next two days, though. Yesterday, Eric Kush got the “start” there. On Thursday, it was OL Kyle Kalis’ turn. If you recall, Kalis is the player who saw the most action at right guard during OTAs. The competition remains wide open.
3. Carrie Walks Off: The team seemed to escape minicamp relatively injury-free. CB T.J. Carrie did have to leave practice with a trainer, favoring his leg/ankle. After practice, it was too early for head coach Freddie Kitchens to comment on Carrie’s status.
4. Potato Drills: It’s never too early to practice the wild drills — I mean, heck, it actually worked for the Dolphins last year! I’m not sure where Cleveland’s “attempt” at lateraling the ball started, but it wouldn’t have counted anyway:
#Browns just ran a hot play down 28-24 with :03 on the clock. After 6 laterals, Ishmael Hyman fumbled into the end zone and recovered.— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) June 6, 2019
5. Greedy Getting on Track: You may remember clips a couple weeks ago of rookie CB Greedy Williams getting beat on deep balls in OTAs. After practice, Williams talked about getting his feet wet and now being confident. He has had a solid minicamp, per those in attendance.
6. Baker’s Zip: Multiple reporters liked pointing out just how much zip that QB Baker Mayfield has on his balls:
7. Brownies: WR Ishmael Hyman continued to receive some first-team reps on the final day of minicamp. ... WR Antonio Callaway did see an uptick in first-team reps on Thursday, but “dropped a dime that would’ve gone for a touchdown,” per Ben Axelrod of WKYC. ... Callaway said that his goals this season are to have 1,000 yards receiving and 10 touchdowns, and he will join QB Baker Mayfield this offseason to work out. ... Former Browns OL Desmond Harrison was claimed by the Arizona Cardinals. ... RB Duke Johnson and WR Odell Beckham Jr. were held out of team drills, but it was just normal rest to keep players healthy.
8. Next Up: Training camp! Expect the schedule to be out in mid-July, with sessions taking place in late-July to August. Over the next six weeks, we will begin our annual training camp preview coverage, where we go through each position and player on the 90-man roster.