- What you need to know about Baker Mayfield’s contract (cleveland.com) - Life with a quarterback in the NFL is a lot of fun and it’s very expensive. The Browns finally found their quarterback in Baker Mayfield. They’re benefitting from having that quarterback on a cost-controlled deal, something I’ll explore later as part of a bigger series. Now is a good time to reset Mayfield’s contract and put together the timeline of what’s coming for the Browns’ second-year signal-caller.
- Browns should not accommodate Duke Johnson’s trade request (USA Today) - If I were Cleveland Browns GM John Dorsey, I wouldn’t trade Duke Johnson, either. I’d cut him. Yesterday. Unceremoniously even — maybe with a 10-word press release transmitted to the backup running back and his agent via ESPN’s ticker.
- Steve Wilks will have revenge on his mind when the Cardinals host the Browns (Revenge of the Birds) - He won’t say much, that is not his style, but you can bet that Steve Wilks has December 15, 2019 circled on his calendar.
- Former AAF wide receiver opening eyes at training camp (DPD) - The focus of Cleveland Browns mandatory minicamp was Odell Beckham Jr., but a former AAF wide receiver opened some eyes with his performance.
- Carson Wentz’s four-year contract extension a smart, calculated risk for Eagles (MMQB) - While it represents another calculated gamble for Eagles GM Howie Roseman—getting Wentz for probably $6 or $7 million per year cheaper by doing the deal now instead of waiting for the next cycle of quarterbacks to sign and drive up the average per year price—Philadelphia is also doing something they haven’t done much of during their recent string of successes.
- Carson Wentz contract extension should be good news for Rams’ Jared Goff (LA Times) - In April, after he reported for voluntary offseason workouts, Rams quarterback Jared Goff said he was not thinking about a contract extension. “Not on my mind at all,” he said. It probably was on some level Thursday.
- Texans fire GM Brian Gaine (Houston Chronicle) - Less than two years into the five-year contract he signed in January of 2018 to become the Texans’ general manager, Brian Gaine has been fired. In a stunning move that was made Friday, the Texans gave Gaine a pink slip.
- Jets to hire Eagles executive Joe Douglas as new general manager (Newsday) - Adam Gase got his man. The Jets are hiring Eagles executive Joe Douglas to be their general manager, the team announced Friday night. He replaces Mike Maccagnan, who the Jets fired on May 15 in a stunning move.
- Pass blocking matters more than pass rushing (ESPN) - You’re the general manager of an NFL franchise and have been presented with a choice. You can have the best pass-blocking offensive line in the league, or the best pass-rushing defensive line. What would you choose?