Day 3 of Browns training camp saw the pads go on, with the defense winning much of the day before the offense got into a quick rhythm for the two-minute drill. Let’s get to today’s practice report.
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 3 (7/27/19)
1. Banged Up Running Backs: RB Duke Johnson was not dressed for Saturday’s practice, and it was learned that he has a hamstring injury (his right hamstring was wrapped). That left the team with just three healthy running backs in camp, forcing the team to sign RB A.J. Ouellette.
2. Completing the Cycle: We expect it to be just a three-man competition at right guard, so today, it was veteran Eric Kush’s turn. Regarding the other two in the competition, Kyle Kalis was the second-team center and Austin Corbett was the second-team right guard.
3. Drill of the Day: Today’s drill of the day focuses on the offensive line hitting their initial blocks and then leaking out to the second level. I know some of this seems like standard stuff, but I swear, a lot of these drills are things I haven’t seen in camp in the past, and they are things that make sense to work on.
#Browns Offensive Line working on getting to the next level after initial blocks in drills today. pic.twitter.com/XihZimWDRx— Mac Robinson (@MacRobinsonCLE) July 27, 2019
4. Those One-Hand Stabs: I know that receivers can do this somewhat often, but it’s always impressive with Odell Beckham Jr. because he does it with such regularity. Here he is catching a one-hand pass during warm-ups:
Casual one-handed catches. @obj | #BrownsCamp pic.twitter.com/1igUY57Ai3— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) July 27, 2019
Speaking of one-hand grabs, we aren’t forgetting about WR Jarvis Landry, who did the same thing. It’s just that Beckham is stealing all the headlines!
5. Carrie Picks Off Mayfield: On the first 11-on-11 rep of the day, QB Baker Mayfield dropped back and aired one out deep for WR Odell Beckham Jr. However, CB T.J. Carrie was camped out there for the interception.
TJ Carrie picks the deep ball intended for Odell. pic.twitter.com/l8fN4wy54T— Dan Labbe (@dan_labbe) July 27, 2019
Carrie had himself a very good day of practice, including some nice tackles and another pass break-up. Speaking of cornerbacks, CB Greedy Williams was presumably rewarded for his good day on Friday, and saw some snaps with the first-team defense. Here is proof, with Williams vs. Beckham later in practice:
Greedy singled up with Odell in 11-on-11s. Baker doesn’t look there tho pic.twitter.com/d4a1Dz5D33— Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) July 27, 2019
6. Get the Pads Popping: Saturday was the first day with pads on, and while that allows for contact, you’re still supposed to be smart with what you do, and it sounds like Freddie Kitchens was having it with any over-aggressiveness:
There’s some lively pad popping and shit talking going on out there. Almost all inside runs to this point. Freddie Kitchens personally sending guys off for not playing nice.— Zac Jackson (@AkronJackson) July 27, 2019
Here is the type of popping that is OK, though:
I #Browns LB Christian Kirksey blows up running play pic.twitter.com/m7Dwj6bzXY— Fred Greetham (@FredGreetham) July 27, 2019
Kitchens also reportedly was pissed at one point, and when backup OT Brad Seaton committed a false start, he was sent on a penalty lap, Eric Mangini-style. OL Kyle Kalis was also sent on a lap later.
7. Blake Jackson Making His Mark: A lot of receivers are having good camps, including WR Blake Jackson. QB Garrett Gilbert found WR Blake Jackson for a 50-yard touchdown pass. ... He also had the snag you see below:
Blake Jackson continues to impress at the end of the WR depth chart. pic.twitter.com/NnnED8HdXu— Jake Burns (@jake_burns18) July 27, 2019
8. Some OL/DL Work: Thanks again to Jake Burns of Cleveland.com for all his awesome work. Burns had some praise on the day for starting LT Greg Robinson and how he was blocking DE Myles Garrett:
Greg Robinson wins two straight reps against Garrett in 1on1. #Browns pic.twitter.com/FASG4wIYkX— Jake Burns (@jake_burns18) July 27, 2019
Burns then offered some analysis on DE Chad Thomas, last year’s third round pick, saying that he “needs another level of twitch in his more repertoire, since it’s not fast enough,” before later adding that he showed better speed with an inside club/rip against RT Chris Hubbard.
9. Baker Frustrated...Until the End: In general, the defense was “winning the day,” and QB Baker Mayfield let his receivers here it toward the end of practice:
Baker just went nuts (NSFW) on his receivers for giving up on the play and not getting open when he was forced out of the pocket.— Zac Jackson (@AkronJackson) July 27, 2019
Kirksey turned to the crowd and yelled “that means the defense is looking good.”
Things changed in the two-minute drill to end practice, when Mayfield quickly went 3-of-3 for a touchdown. It started with this electric catch-and-run to WR Odell Beckham Jr:
First play of 2-minute drill to Odell. pic.twitter.com/QxzttyM7O0— Dan Labbe (@dan_labbe) July 27, 2019
Mayfield completed another 20-yarder to WR Jarvis Landry after that, and then to cap things off, found him up the seam for a touchdown pass:
TD pass from Baker Mayfield to Jarvis Landry in 2 Minute Drill. Offense really clicking on the series with completions to Odell Beckham, followed by two catches by Landry. #Browns pic.twitter.com/1pS52Sqyfw— Mac Robinson (@MacRobinsonCLE) July 27, 2019
10. Brownies: Players fielding punts today included RB Dontrell Hilliard, WR Antonio Callaway, WR Ishmael Hyman, and WR Damon Sheehy-Guiseppi. ... A few WWE affiliates took camp in as VIPs. ... Here is a nice one-handed cradle catch downfield by TE David Njoku. ... Rookie OL Drew Forbes was working as a backup left tackle today. ... WR Derrick Willies also had a few nice grabs. ... In the final two-minute drill, QB Drew Stanton had a nice connection to TE Seth DeValve to get them near the goal line, but then S Eric Murray had a pick six. ... Players will get some reps off in camp, but they will still dress, like S Morgan Burnett did today. ... Practice ended at 12:28 PM, after it was scheduled to end at 12:00 PM; practices in the past have been scheduled for 2.5 hours, but the full time isn’t always used up.
11. Next Up: Practice continues Sunday in Berea, from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
Sipe + Mayfield + Couch#BrownsCamp pic.twitter.com/8wupABg1ea— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) July 27, 2019
A two-minute drill to end Day 3 of #BrownsCamp: 3 plays, 60 yards and a TD pic.twitter.com/bzG8m8Y9m4— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) July 27, 2019
“… the offense ended the day in spectacular fashion.”— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) July 27, 2019
The 2-Minute Drill: pic.twitter.com/xMopDgwvME