- Freddie Kitchens is driving the bus now, so healthy players wear full uniforms (Browns Zone) - Before he was the popular, folksy coach of the Browns, Freddie Kitchens was the little-known running backs coach who questioned coach Hue Jackson’s decision to give players days off during training camp. Kitchens is in charge now, and the difference in regimes was on display Saturday with the handling of veteran safety Morgan Burnett. He went through individuals drills but sat out team drills — in full uniform.
- Is Freddie Kitchens ready to handle egos, expectations? (USA Today) - Let Freddie Kitchens shed some light on his approach to this monumental task of trying to transform the Cleveland Browns into much more than a paper champion.
- Greg Robinson’s technical progress is evident (Browns Wire) - There is a great deal of the Browns explosive offensive plans hinging on left tackle Greg Robinson and his ability to keep QB Baker Mayfield upright and comfortable. Robinson’s history says that’s a dicey proposition, but there are very encouraging signs from Browns training camp.
- 6 insights about the Browns linebacker situation (cleveland.com) - The linebacker group for the Browns in 2019 remains one of the more intriguing defensive position groups. Not the most talented, like the defensive line, or the deepest like the secondary, but nonetheless they are the most important to the overall success.
- Lions release running back Theo Reddick (Detroit Free Press) - The timing was more of a surprise than the move itself, but the Detroit Lions released veteran running back Theo Riddick on Saturday to make room for new defensive tackle Mike Daniels. Riddick, 28, was one of the most productive third-down backs in the NFL in recent seasons, averaging 62 catches over the last four years.
- Redskins place Trent Williams on reserve/did not report list (redskins.com) - The Redskins have signed offensive lineman Corey Robinson, the team announced Saturday. In a corresponding move, the team placed Trent Williams on the reserve/did not report list.
- Golden Tate suspended as Giants’ receiver hell worsens (NY Post) - The situation is going from bad to worse to almost disastrous for the Giants and what now must be considered an ill-fated wide receiver situation. Golden Tate, their free agent acquisition brought in to help offset the trade of Odell Beckham Jr., has been suspended four games for violating the NFL’s Performance Enhancing Substance Policy.
- Which second-year player is set to take off in 2019? (MMQB) - Last season saw top-notch performances from many of the NFL’s rookies—Saquon Barkley, Derwin James and Baker Mayfield, to name a few—but several haven’t quite tapped into their full potential. Which sophomores could put up stand-out performances in 2019?