Things got heated between two players on Day 4 of practice, causing the team to be punished and run gassers. How did the offense and defense respond after that? Let’s get to our Day 4 practice report.
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 4 (7/28/19)
1. The Mustache Man: QB Baker Mayfield revealed a new look today to start training camp: shaving the beard, but keeping the mustache. I’m sure it won’t last for too long, but with Mayfield being the face of the franchise, it’s a fun nugget to start off today’s camp report.
.@bakermayfield debuting a new look #BrownsCamp pic.twitter.com/9ZLG5aWXxS— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) July 28, 2019
As for QB Drew Stanton, he was wearing a bucket hat and basically had the day off, but was still with the quarterback group during practice. Fourth-string QB David Blough was the victim of some friendly rookie hazing on Sunday, having to go up to fans and get them fired up during practice:
Rookie hazing: Purdue’s David Blough just had to go around and pump up the fans while giving them an “O-H!” He’s the same guy that torched the Buckeyes last year. #Browns pic.twitter.com/0RXj4UeQuE— Hayden Grove (@H_Grove) July 28, 2019
2. Injuries Adding Up: The injury list is slowly adding up, although thankfully, they seem to be minor so far. Joining the list of idle players on Sunday were DE Genard Avery (ankle) and CB Donnie Lewis Jr (foot).
3. Greg Joseph Far Ahead in Competition: There is still a lot of training camp to go, but so far, Greg Joseph is blowing rookie Austin Seibert away in the kicking competition. This makes Joseph a perfect 8-for-8 in camp, compared to Seibert being 4-of-8.
Incumbent Greg Joseph taking control of #Browns kicking battle, going 4-for-4 on field goals just now. Rookie fifth-round draft pick Austin Seibert went 1-for-4, missing back-to-back kicks from 43 and 52 yards to end drill.— Nate Ulrich (@ByNateUlrich) July 28, 2019
4. Drill of the Day: Today’s drill is a quick one, and nothing too original: but the running backs are getting some work with their one-on-one blocking:
#Browns running backs go through pass protection drills on the second day of full pads practices at #BrownsCamp #3Browns @wkyc pic.twitter.com/Re9GpIULG6— Matt Florjancic (@MattFlorjancic) July 28, 2019
5. Chubb Breaks a Big One: On the first play of team drills, RB Nick Chubb broke a big run. Funny enough, someone else reported that head coach Freddie Kitchens was yelling at the official saying that there should have been a facemask penalty called.
Nick Chubb pic.twitter.com/TLGi278wKT— Jake Trotter (@Jake_Trotter) July 28, 2019
RB Dontrell Hilliard is also taking advantage of his reps with RB Duke Johnson and RB Kareem Hunt being idle:
Dontrell Hilliard is having a great camp thus far. Broke a big gain in 1&10 period of team. Big cut at the LOS and ran away from Eric Murray in the open field. #Browns— Jake Burns (@jake_burns18) July 28, 2019
6. Greedy Doesn’t Lack Confidence: Rookie CB Greedy Williams is quickly ascending the depth chart with reps, and he had good coverage downfield on this pass to WR Odell Beckham Jr:
Greedy on OBJ #Browns pic.twitter.com/tXyNTg8Vip— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) July 28, 2019
On the other hand, had the ball gone Williams’ direction on this play, what would the result have been? Also, despite Williams’ reps, it was CB T.J. Carrie who was “starting” opposite CB Denzel Ward, after having a solid day of practice.
Greedy got fortunate here in RZ, though. #Browns pic.twitter.com/cxZMgXcU06— Jake Burns (@jake_burns18) July 28, 2019
7. Leveraging Njoku’s Height: I haven’t talked about it in camp much, but I’ve seen a lot of highlights of QB Baker Mayfield using the big frame of TE David Njoku to connect on some big plays. Here are two examples from Sunday:
Baker to Njoku in back left EZ #Browns pic.twitter.com/pSfCczSCaZ— Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) July 28, 2019
Baker to Njoku again pic.twitter.com/k28bvZcPCj— Dan Labbe (@dan_labbe) July 28, 2019
8. Garrett With the Scoop & Score: Another thing I haven’t mentioned much: DE Myles Garrett often seems unstoppable in camp. The Browns were running a drill to end practice where the offense was losing 23-21, needing a field goal. Garrett made sure that QB Baker Mayfield didn’t get the best of the first-team defense for the second day in a row:
Defense getting some love from fans. Baker Mayfield fumbled under pressure in pocket and Myles Garrett scooped up ball and ran to end zone. Crowd cheered for Myles— Nate Ulrich (@ByNateUlrich) July 28, 2019
9. Fight! We’re not exactly sure how it started, but DE Chad Thomas got into a scrum with TE Pharoah Brown near the end of practice. LB Christian Kirksey had to restrain Thomas from going after Brown. Here is the scrum:
They’re now running sprints as I type this because of this: pic.twitter.com/PkBT1sQYX1— Ken Carman (@KenCarman) July 28, 2019
Head coach Freddie Kitchens was not happy about it, so he enforced a group punishment and made everyone run gassers:
#Browns whole team running gassers, likely due to fight between Chad Thomas and offensive player, think it was Orson Charles pic.twitter.com/67dugB0w22— Fred Greetham (@FredGreetham) July 28, 2019
Then, a fan yelled at Thomas for not hustling on his sprints, and Thomas flipped the fan off, getting him in a bit more of trouble. It’s certainly not the thing that is going to elevate the stock of Thomas, a third-round pick from a year ago who barely saw the field and should be considered a bubble player:
It’s not quite Ben Gay in the scrimmage or the time the ‘09 Browns didn’t score for a whole week, but that Chad Thomas thing was certainly a moment in Berea camp history.— Zac Jackson (@AkronJackson) July 28, 2019
10. One More Drill: After the gassers, 50 seconds was put on the clock. Down by two and starting from the 34 yard line, the first-team offense had a crack at things, but WR Jarvis Landry fumbled when MLB Joe Schobert stripped him:
Jarvis Landry jukes past Joe Schobert, then Schobert knocks the ball out from behind to force the fumble. pic.twitter.com/tKjY4MCj9a— Dan Labbe (@dan_labbe) July 28, 2019
After that, the backup offense got in field goal range, but both kickers missed their opportunities:
Two-minute drill to end #Browns practice ended like this: Jarvis Landry caught pass from Baker but was stripped of ball by Joe Schobert and Jermaine Whitehead recovered. Then with backups going, Greg Joseph missed 45-yard FG and Austin Seibert missed 51-yard FG.— Nate Ulrich (@ByNateUlrich) July 28, 2019
11. Brownies: OL Austin Corbert was back at right guard with the first-team unit, continuing the rotation there. ... WR Blake Jackson continues to make catches. ... S Jermaine Whitehead is still getting reps in three-safety looks with the first teamers. ... Jimmy and Dee Haslam talked to reporters after practice. ... WR Jarvis Landry made a nice one-handed stab. ... A total of 36 puppies have already been adopted at the Browns Puppy Pound this year.
12. Next Up: Practice continues Monday in Berea, from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM. I will be in attendance for my only session of the summer, and then the team will be off on Tuesday.
Another day of work in the .— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) July 28, 2019
The 2-Minute Drill: pic.twitter.com/PLnfxUGEoB
Today's rookie duty: Hype up the crowd@bakermayfield wasn't too happy with @david_blough10's effort— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) July 28, 2019
New Building the Browns episodes start Aug. 11 » https://t.co/FkduiDYmyT pic.twitter.com/o9AVogvuA8