After having an off day on Tuesday, the Cleveland Browns were back to practice on Wednesday, where the kicker situation was front-and-center.
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 6 (7/31/19)
1. Resuming Pads & Injury Update: The Browns had their first off day of practice on Tuesday, but were back at it in full pads on Wednesday. On the injury front, DE Olivier Vernon didn’t practice with a wrap on his left leg for a hamstring injury. I’d also like to apologize to TE Seth DeValve, who is in the concussion protocol (I had mentioned on Monday that he should’ve caught the pass thrown to him).
2. Drill of the Day: Here are the running backs getting their hands up quickly to volley medicine balls as they move laterally:
Gonna have a pretty good intramural volleyball team this year. pic.twitter.com/gSBILR9t5e— Dan Labbe (@dan_labbe) July 31, 2019
3. Kicker Competition Update: Heading into the day and not including two minute drills, Greg Joseph was a perfect 8-of-8 on field goals, while rookie Austin Seibert was only 4-of-8. On Wednesday, both kickers were a perfect 5-of-5, connecting from 33, 39, 43, 46, and then 49 yards. However, the edge on the day still goes to Joseph, since Seibert’s 39-yarder banked in off the upright:
Austin Seibert also goes 5 for 5. But his 39 did bounce off the upright and go through. #Browns pic.twitter.com/AGDmsJEWil— Jake Burns (@jake_burns18) July 31, 2019
4. First-Team Defensive Notes: With DE Olivier Vernon sidelined, DE Chris Smith took his spot on the first-team defense. Also playing with the first-team defense? Rookie CB Greedy Williams. An interesting side note, it was around this time that it was revealed that DE Chad Thomas was not practicing due to an “illness,” as everyone tried to draw conclusions based on Sunday’s events.
5. Burying Your Head: The most times you see tackling in camp seems to be on some running plays, and here is rookie CB Greedy Williams sticking his head in there to help tackle the running back. Williams heard the criticism on his tackling when he was drafted.
Greedy Williams in the right place at the right time to make the stick #Browns pic.twitter.com/pnObEaML7v— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) July 31, 2019
6. Scare for JC Tretter: Remember that C JC Tretter was an unsung hero last year, playing on a bad ankle for half of the year. He was rolled up on during practice and was frustrated:
Center JC Tretter angrily tosses helmet after getting rolled up. Trainers tending to right ankle.— Tony Grossi (@TonyGrossi) July 31, 2019
The good thing is that after getting his ankle taped, he was back to practicing. That seems a little surprising for a training camp session, but I guess it’s a good sign.
7. Missing in Team Drills: Each kicker got a chance to make a field goal near the end of practice in team drills, and they both missed — K Austin Seibert was no good from 54 yards, while K Greg Joseph missed wide left from 41 yards out, drawing the disapproval from the crowd. That is two practices now in which both kickers have missed during team drills:
And Greg Joseph no good (wide left) from 41 to end a 2-min drive drawing groans and several “need a kicker Dorsey” from the crowd. #Browns— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) July 31, 2019
Seibert did make a 37-yard field goal later toward the end of practice, drawing half-sarcastic cheers from the crowd. But then, his final kick of practice was no good as well:
I think it’s fair to say Austin Seibert can’t make pressure kicks. No good from 46 on a clock running, rush FG unit on the field. Greg Joseph made his 42 yarder #Browns— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) July 31, 2019
8. Pick Negated: We try to highlight plays especially if a rookie draft pick is involved, and here is one of S Sheldrick Redwine picking off a pass by backup QB Drew Stanton. Per another report, though, someone was offside, so it didn’t count.
Sheldrick Redwine intercepts Drew Stanton. pic.twitter.com/sPQa2ieCuk— Dan Labbe (@dan_labbe) July 31, 2019
9. VIP at Camp: Cavs big man Larry Nance Jr. and some Cavaliers rookies were VIPs at camp. Below, you can see a shot of team owner Jimmy Haslam talking to them. What is the over/under on the number of times Nance was told he could play tight end (he is 6-9)?
#Browns Jimmy Haslam talking to #Cavs Larry Nance Jr. and the Cavs rookies pic.twitter.com/czZtIiQNK8— Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) July 31, 2019
DE Myles Garrett also went over to each member of the Cavs in attendance:
.@MylesLGarrett takes a moment to show #Cavs some love pic.twitter.com/fA6wY7IP34— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) July 31, 2019
10. Brownies: RG Eric Kush was the first-team right guard, meaning everyone has had their crack at it twice now. ... Rookie OL Drew Forbes has seen backup action at every position except center, and is being praised for doing a good job. ... OL Greg Robinson seemed dinged up for a second, but stayed in. ... WR Rashard Higgins continues his steady camp, this time beating CB Greedy Williams up the sideline. ... WR Odell Beckham Jr. was again taking it easy with a light practice. ... CB Terrance Mitchell had some pass breakups, seeming to favor the more physical nature of practice. ... RB Dontrell Hilliard had a great day catching passes. ... DT Larry Ogunjobi “felt something” and was held out of team drills later in practice. ... A total of 47 puppies have been adopted at the Browns Puppy Pound at training camp this year.
11. Next Up: The Browns will practice on Thursday from 10:00 AM to 12:30 PM. After practice, the big guns are coming out to speak -- all three coordinators, plus Freddie Kitchens, will be at the podium.
Another day of #BrownsCamp in the books!— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) July 31, 2019
The 2-Minute Drill: pic.twitter.com/vBgGBweQe6