The Browns’ scrimmage is coming up in a couple of days, but the team is still grinding things out at training camp in a physical manner.
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 7 (8/1/19)
1. Tretter Still Practices: Even though C JC Tretter returned right away to practice on Wednesday after having his ankle rolled on, I wondered if we might see a change in the offensive line Thursday to get him some rest. That wasn’t the case — he was at practice, as if nothing happened. We finally had a player return from injury, and that was CB Donnie Lewis Jr.
As far as new players sitting out on Thursday, that would include TE Demetrius Harris and DT Sheldon Richardson. Harris is in the concussion protocol while Richardson has an abdominal injury.
2. Drill of the Day: Here are the linebackers working on wrapping up, driving, and finishing a tackle.
3. Off the Helmet! We don’t show one-on-one drills very often, and this one in itself isn’t important to either player’s chances of making the team. Sometimes, it’s just fun to highlight a fun play, and this one sees a pass land on the helmet of S Damarious Randall, and then WR Jarvis Landry picks it off his helmet with one hand.
Speaking of individual drills, WR Antonio Callaway thrived in that drill today, using his speed to beat defenders and make the catch in stride several times:
4. Try Stopping This in the Red Zone: One thing I haven’t highlighted is the amount of times the Browns are working on routes that hit tight ends up the seam with high ball placement in the red zone. Here is another dangerous wrinkle: WR Jarvis Landry (on the outside) and WR Odell Beckham Jr. (on the inside). Landry slants, Beckham fades, and QB Baker Mayfield connects with Beckham for six against CB T.J. Carrie.
I would get used to this. 6 —> 13. pic.twitter.com/HA97oLwJv9— Jake Burns (@jake_burns18) August 1, 2019
5. Nearly a Done Deal? Although it’s not confirmed yet, you would think that he’d know — Jim Nantz of CBS was a guest at training camp today, and he thinks that he and Tony Romo will call the Browns’ Week 1 home opener:
It's not finalized, but Jim Nantz tells us he thinks there's a good chance that he and Tony Romo will call Browns vs Titans in Cleveland on 9/8. Final schedule coming mid-month...— Aaron Goldhammer (@HammerNation19) August 1, 2019
6. Big Man Interception: Even if it’s just training camp, I’m sure it feels good for a guy trying to make the 53-man roster, even if it was just “right place, right time.” LB Christian Kirksey batted a pass at the line from QB Baker Mayfield, and then DT Daniel Ekuale came away with the pick.
Daniel Ekuale lives every large man’s dream. pic.twitter.com/fkzNV25XHI— Nick Shook (@TheNickShook) August 1, 2019
7. Right Guard Update: We are on Day 7 of practice, and the right guard rotation continued of OL Austin Corbett running with the ones there. We don’t know who is winning the competition, but after practice, offensive coordinator Todd Monken said that they have an idea:
#Browns OC Todd Monken on right guard battle: “To say that we don’t have an idea (who will start) is probably a little bit of a stretch.” Austin Corbett, Kyle Kalis and Eric Kush have all taken reps with the ones. #BrownsCamp— Pat Chiesa (@PatChiesa) August 1, 2019
8. Brownies: RB Nick Chubb fumbled on the first carry of an 11-on-11 drill. ... DT Devaroe Lawrence left the field with an athletic trainer, but then returned. ... WR Ishmael Hyman made a couple of big catches with the second-team offense in team drills. ... WR Jarvis Landry made a nice move in the hurry up drill to set up a touchdown for RB Nick Chubb. ... OC Todd Monken said that WR Antonio Callaway came to camp out of shape, but is better now. ... A total of 57 puppies have been adopted at the Browns Puppy Pound at training camp this year.
9. Next Up: The Browns will practice on Friday from 10:00 AM to 12:30 PM, getting ready for the Orange and Brown Scrimmage at FirstEnergy Stadium on Saturday.