- Looking forward to the day Nick Chubb is good enough to hold out (cleveland.com) - Twenty-nine years ago, preseason contract holdouts tore apart a playoff team. That team was the Cleveland Browns. There haven’t been many veteran holdouts, or playoff appearances, since. But among the first-place problems that the Browns and their fans must anticipate, preseason money squabbles with high-achieving veterans is one to look forward to.
- Freddie Kitchens ‘not willing to put up’ with continued mistakes by Antonio Callaway (CBS Sports) - While supportive of their young wideout at the moment, the Browns are rapidly becoming fed up.
- Defensive backs coach DeWayne Walker says Greedy Williams ‘showed everybody that he will tackle’ (ohio.com) - Defensive backs coach DeWayne Walker convinced himself during the pre-draft process the Browns would be getting a willing tackler if they were to select cornerback Greedy Williams out of Louisiana State University.
- Baker Mayfield’s improvisational skills in 2-minute offense and out of pocket draw rave reviews (Browns Zone) - No element of surprise. No attempt at confusion. Just elite execution. The Washington defense knew the Browns would open in the two-minute offense Thursday in the preseason opener. It just couldn’t stop Cleveland.
- What the Texans are getting in Duke Johnson (Houston Chronicle) - Since before training camp began, the Texans went back and forth with Cleveland over a trade for running back Duke Johnson, according to persons familiar with the deal. Once coach Bill O’Brien knew the trade could be consummated, he waived running back D’Onta Foreman on Sunday and made the trade four days later.
- Lions sign quarterback Josh Johnson (NFL.com) - Josh Johnson’s NFL resume grew a little longer Saturday following as the journeyman quarterback joined the Detroit Lions. The Lions announced Saturday that they’ve signed Johnson and free agent running back Justin Stockton.
- NFL sees no basis for Antonio Brown’s effort to wear discontinued helmet (PFT) - As the dust settles on what became an unexpectedly crazy Friday afternoon, some clarity has emerged regarding Raiders receiver Antonio Brown‘s effort to continue to wear his helmet of choice.
- Cardinals release DL Darius Philon following arrest (Cards Wire) - The Arizona Cardinals, following news that defensive end Darius Philon was arrested on charges of aggravated assault, has made a move. The team announced after Saturday’s practice it released the fifth-year veteran.