- QB Garrett Gilbert bolsters his case in second preseason game (ohio.com) - Freddie Kitchens revealed about two weeks ago he would like to keep three quarterbacks on the Browns’ 53-man roster, but the coach also said he didn’t “want to crown” Garrett Gilbert as a player worthy of a spot “just yet.” Well, Gilbert presented a strong case to be crowned with his stellar performance Saturday in the Browns’ 21-18 win over the Indianapolis Colts in the second preseason game for both teams.
- Rashard Higgins, DJ Montgomery and lessons learned (cleveland.com) - When Garrett Gilbert needed to complete a pass, the Cleveland Browns backup quarterback knew where to throw the ball. Look for No. 81, Rashard Higgins.
- Stock up, stock down after Browns preseason win over Colts (Browns Wire) - The Browns remain undefeated in the preseason with a 21-18 win over the Indianapolis Colts. Who stood out and who did not perform well? Let’s dive into which players performed well and who needs to improve to make the roster.
- PFF ReFocused: Cleveland Browns 21, Indianapolis Colts 18 (PFF) - D’Ernest Johnson and former AAF standout Garrett Gilbert both turned in outstanding performances in the Cleveland Browns‘ 21-18 win over the Indianapolis Colts on Saturday.
- Eagles sign Josh McCown out of retirement (CBS Sports) - Help is on the way for the Philadelphia Eagles who signed veteran Josh McCown to a one-year deal, the team announced.
- NFL joint practices to replace preseason games? Not so fast (ESPN) - As August grinds toward the NFL’s regular season, the annual debate about how many preseason games is enough has bubbled up again.
- NFL closes Antonio Brown helmet loophole (PFT) - Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFL decided to require testing of the Schutt AiR Advantage after previously informing the Raiders that, if receiver Antonio Brown could find one less than 10 years old, he could use it. The helmet failed the test.