There were plenty of visitors at training camp on Friday, and the action was exciting as well on the heels of the Orange & Brown Scrimmage.
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 8 (8/2/19)
1. Visitors Day: There were plenty of fun guests at training camp on Friday, starting with Hall of Fame quarterback Kurt Warner, who was the Arizona Cardinals’ quarterback while Freddie Kitchens was on the team’s coaching staff:
Freddie Kitchens chatting with HOFer Kurt Warner at #Browns camp. They went to a Super Bowl together with the #Cardinals after the 2008 season pic.twitter.com/3nZMrvyeOf— Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) August 2, 2019
Browns fan Brad Paisley is an annual visitor to training camp, and he had a fun little exchange with general manager John Dorsey, who tried to sing a little tune from the commercial. Former Browns QB Bernie Kosar and K Phil Dawson were also in attendance.
Browns GM John Dorsey greets Brad Paisley...— Hayden Grove (@H_Grove) August 2, 2019
Nationwide is on my side
Paisley: “Don’t sing, I’ll do that.”#Browns pic.twitter.com/gmdY204k1L
2. In and Out for Chad Thomas: DE Chad Thomas has missed the past few practices with an illness. He returned to the practice field on Friday, but quickly went back inside with a trainer. Just as quick as he left, he jogged back onto the field and was able to practice, a good sign for a guy who isn’t guaranteed a 53-man roster spot:
Chad Thomas returns to practice after missing the last few days. #Browns pic.twitter.com/qvNEdBwMO4— Jake Burns (@jake_burns18) August 2, 2019
3. Drill of the Day: No words are needed. Just watch on repeat and continue to be mesmerized.
Mayfield, buckets. #Browns pic.twitter.com/Fa7tlDvspG— Jake Burns (@jake_burns18) August 2, 2019
4. Takitaki’s Physicality Living Up to Billing: Throughout camp, we’ve heard about rookie LB Sione Takitaki making an impression for his physical run defense. While that won’t make him an everydown linebacker right off the bat, he’s making his case for being in on short-yardage situations.
Takitaki blowing up the run in the backfield again. Can't wait to see him be unleashed on another team. Physical and aggressive in attacking the running lanes. #Browns— Mac Robinson (@MacRobinsonCLE) August 2, 2019
5. Catches of the Day: Although there was a one-handed catch by WR Odell Beckham Jr. during practice, the highlight of the day went to WR Jarvis Landry, who went up to snag a pass over the middle from QB Baker Mayfield, tripping up CB Greedy Williams in the process:
#Browns Jarvis Landry leaping catch from Baker vs. Greedy Williams pic.twitter.com/KtltnomSAp— Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) August 2, 2019
Here is the one-handed by Beckham:
Another @obj one-handed catch?— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) August 2, 2019
You really, really love to see it.#BrownsCamp pic.twitter.com/fnypSjwDmk
6. Mack Wilson’s Athleticism: This must have looked more impressive in person, because everyone was tweeting about how LB Mack Wilson made one of the more athletic interceptions for a linebacker that you’ll see. He picked off a pass by QB Garrett Gilbert, and perhaps more importantly, he quickly got up and ran it back for a pick six:
The rook made a big time play today.@5mackwilson1 pic.twitter.com/6FlQHHJWa7— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) August 3, 2019
7. 100 Straight Catches: Can you do this?
#Browns Odell Beckham Jr. just caught 100 straight from Jugs gun. Last 30 1-handed. Some video. pic.twitter.com/z11j3eyAB9— Scott Petrak ct (@ScottPetrak) August 2, 2019
8. Brownies: CB Phillip Gaines had a pick six off of a high pass from QB Drew Stanton. ... QB David Blough fumbled a snap and had to do a lap for it. ... The right guard rotation continued with OL Kyle Kalis on Friday. ... DE Myles Garrett chased down an end around. ... In a two-minute drill to end practice, the first-team defense stopped the first-team offense with a virtual sack. ... A total of 69 puppies have been adopted at the Browns Puppy Pound at training camp this year.
9. Next Up: The Browns will practice at FirstEnergy Stadium on Saturday from 4:00 PM to 6:30 PM for the Orange & Brown Scrimmage. Tickets are $5.
Phil Dawson talking to the #Browns kickers. Photo by the great @jpgunter of Clevelanddotcompost pic.twitter.com/a59cRsHNsh— Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) August 2, 2019
2-Minute Drill: @NathanZegura breaks down Day 8 of #BrownsCamp as @obj and @God_Son80 deliver massive one-handed catches pic.twitter.com/UbJyNFD0ib— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) August 2, 2019