- How the Browns and Paul DePodesta brought Moneyball to the NFL (The Ringer) - Two decades ago, the strategist was an oddity with the Oakland A’s. Now, he’s an archetype, applying the lessons of baseball’s analytics revolution to football one Cleveland draft pick at a time.
- Kitchens: It was a frustrating night in Tampa (Browns Wire) - The first words out of Cleveland Browns head coach Freddie Kitchens‘ mouth after his team’s lackluster 13-12 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers spoke volumes. “It was a frustrating night all the way around.”
- What is the message with Austin Corbett not starting? (cleveland.com) - You know the Browns are in good shape when fans and media are gnashing their teeth over Austin Corbett and the right guard situation. I’m far more worried about the kickers than right guard, but there is a message here with how the Browns are handling their 2018 second-round pick.
- D’Ernest Johnson goes from working on fishing boat to having real chance to make Browns (Browns Zone) - D’Ernest Johnson has a bunch of fish stories. He even spreads his arms 4 feet wide to illustrate the size of his most impressive catches. The most improbable, inspiring fish story he could tell continues to slide along the scale from fiction toward fact. The dream kept alive on a boat in the beautiful blue waters off Key West could become a reality with a spot on the Browns roster when the season opens against the Titans.
- Titans’ Taylor Lewan officially suspended 4 games by NFL (Tennessean.com) - The Tennessee Titans officially will be without Taylor Lewan for the beginning of their season. The NFL released a statement Friday that said the left tackle had been suspended for the first four games of the 2019 regular season for violating the NFL policy on performance-enhancing substances.
- Lions lose linebacker Jarrad Davis to leg injury early against Bills (Detroit News) - The biggest fear every NFL team faces during the preseason is a serious injury to a key contributor. In the opening minute of the Lions’ third preseason game, a Friday night matchup with the Buffalo Bills at Ford Field, middle linebacker Jarrad Davis suffered a right leg injury, which required him to be helped to the sideline and carted to the locker room for further evaluation.
- Who’ll prove doubters wrong in 2019? (NFL.com) - This is the perfect time to spotlight some high-profile guys poised to silence the naysayers in 2019.
- Son charged in death of ex-Viking Barry Bennett and his wife (ESPN) - The son of former NFL lineman Barry Bennett is accused of shooting him and his wife multiple times, killing them, then driving out of state and boarding a flight to Mexico, according to criminal charges filed Friday.