The following players were cut (or traded) by the Cleveland Browns, trimming their roster from 90 players to the league-required 53 players. Make sure you react to all of the cuts in the comments section below! The final 53-man roster is also at the bottom of this post.
UPDATE: The Browns claimed three players off waivers on Sunday.
OFFENSIVE PLAYERS CUT
- RB Trayone Gray
- RB A.J. Ouellette
- FB Joe Kerridge - waived/injured
- WR Braxton Miller - Although Miller did ok in his week or two with the Browns, the team probably feels they have enough talent at receiver to not need Miller’s skillset on the back end of the roster.
- WR Derrick Willies - If there was a “surprise” cut, it might be Willies, who showed promise last year and had a pretty good camp again. He might have been the odd man out, thanks to the trade for Taywan Taylor at the last minute.
- WR Damon Sheehy-Guiseppi - Now, all eyes will be on the good-storied return man, to see if he lands on a practice squad.
- WR Ishmael Hyman - Was running with the first-team offense a little bit in minicamp, but then returned to a reserve role for training camp. Despite some drops, he was second on the team this preseason with 11 catches for 130 yards.
- WR Dorian Baker
- TE Seth DeValve - Maybe the writing was on the wall that DeValve was heading out the door. He was not utilized much last year by Freddie Kitchens, and didn’t have a big role in this year’s camp.
- TE Stephen Carlson - Had 4 catches for 38 yards this preseason.
- OL Kyle Kalis - Waived/injured. Born in Lakewood, Ohio and going to St. Eds, he was a candidate for the starting right guard job, but suffered a concussion during camp and lost steam.
- OL Brad Seaton
- OL Bryan Witzmann
- OL Brian Fineanganofo
- OL Willie Wright
- OL Travis Vornkahl
DEFENSIVE PLAYERS CUT
- DE Jarrell Owens - 1 tackle and 1 sack this preseason.
- DE Anthony Zettel
- DT Brian Price - Played in 12 games for Cleveland last year, finishing with 11 tackles. He didn’t log any stats this preseason, and everyone knew the team was seeking improved depth.
- DE Wyatt Ray - He had 7 tackles, 1 sack, and 2 quarterback hits this preseason.
- DT Carl Davis
- DT Brandin Bryant
- LB Willie Harvey - Had 8 tackles on defense and 2 on special teams during the preseason.
- LB Anthony Stubbs
- LB Dedrick Young II
- LB Ray-Ray Armstrong - There weren’t many “surprise” cuts defensively, but Armstrong’s release comes a little close to that, for both his depth and special teams play.
- CB Robert Jackson - He had 6 tackles on defense and 2 on special teams during the preseason. Word is that the team is trying to get him on the practice squad.
- CB Donnie Lewis Jr.
- CB Lenzy Pipkins
- S Montrel Meander - He was on the Browns’ practice squad most of last year, and then was re-claimed just a little over a week ago. Could find his way back to the practice squad.
- S J.T. Hassell - Hassell was second on the team with 13 tackles on defense, and 3 on special teams, during the preseason.
- S Tigie Sankoh
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYERS CUT
- P Britton Colquitt - The veteran punter didn’t do anything wrong; in fact, he’s still more consistent than rookie P Jamie Gillan. But the Scottish Hammer had a nice camp and a good preseason, so it’s an opportunity to let a younger player go while shedding Colquitt’s salary of $2.7 million.
- K Greg Joseph
- QB David Blough - Traded to the Detroit Lions. He didn’t see much action during the camp, but played during the preseason due to Baker Mayfield or Drew Stanton seeing little action.
- WR Taywan Taylor - Traded from the Titans to the Browns. Figures to be the Browns’ fourth or fifth receiver to begin the year.
- OG Justin McCray - Acquired from the Packers for a 2020 draft pick.
- CB Phillip Gaines - Placed on IR with a concussion.
FINAL 53-MAN ROSTER (as of 8/31/19)
|Pos||Final Roster||Friday & Saturday Cuts|
|David Blough (traded)|
|Odell Beckham Jr.
Dedrick Young II
|Donnie Lewis Jr.
The following players do not count toward the 53-man roster:
- Injured Reserve: WR D.J. Montgomery, C Lo Falemaka, CB Phillip Gaines
- Reserve/Suspension List: RB Kareem Hunt, WR Antonio Callaway, TE Rico Gathers