The Browns had a highlight-reel throw-and-catch from QB Baker Mayfield to one of the receivers who took advantage of WR Odell Beckham being out.
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 10 (8/5/19)
1. Welcome to Right Guard, Eric Kush: Did we just have a breakthrough in the competition for the starting right guard job? For the first nine days of practice, Austin Corbett, Kyle Kalis, and Eric Kush took turns each day as the starting right guard. The pattern ended on Day 10 of camp, as Kush was the first-team right guard for the second day in a row. While head coach Freddie Kitchens, wouldn’t confirm he is the favorite, he did relent a bit in his post-practice presser by saying, “Yeah, we will see if he can string some days together [at right guard].”
2. Beckham Misses Practice: Early in practice, when I read tweets that WR Odell Beckham Jr. was nowhere to be seen on the field, I’ll admit that my mind jumped to the worst — I was thinking, “maybe he’s injured and they’re trying to decide how to let the fan base know.” An hour into practice, the team revealed that he is simply dealing with an illness. That allowed WR Derrick Willies and WR Jaelen Strong to get some first-team reps.
With Odell Beckham not practicing due to illness, Jaelen Strong and Derrick Willies are getting reps with the first team. Strong made a nice grab on a quick out.— Nick Shook (@TheNickShook) August 5, 2019
3. Browns’ Defensive Line Taking a Break: Several days before the first preseason game, the Browns’ defensive line are resting up. There are still no major injuries to be worried about, but the entire starting defensive line — DE Myles Garrett, DT Sheldon Richardson, DT Larry Ojunjobi, and DE Olivier Vernon were not in pads today. DE Genard Avery continues to work his way back too.
4. Why Heckle? Who would go to training camp with the intention of heckling a player? I get that players have thick skin, but training camp especially is meant for fans to get excited about their team. Fortunately, Jeff Ridson later noted that the fan shut up after about ten minutes.
There's a fan here who has dedicated his morning to heckling David Njoku. I...don't get that mentality— Jeff Risdon (@JeffRisdon) August 5, 2019
5. Drill of the Day: We have basically seen this drill already, but I got some slight amusement at WR Jarvis Landry ducking under the thing before the drill began. Can someone help me out, too — what name should I use to describe that piece of equipment they are running through?
6. Mitchell Just Misses Pick: CB Terrance Mitchell was known for mixing it up last training camp with WR Jarvis Landry to make a name for himself. He’s had an up-and-down camp, but a play like this — nearly picking a pass by QB Baker Mayfield — is more of what we want to see (at least from the defensive side of things):
7. Running the Ball: Per Zac Jackson of The Athletic, the Browns’ first-team defense (even though it’s the backup defensive line) allowed three straight successful inside run plays to the offense. One of those plays is below, and head coach Freddie Kitchens wasn’t happy:
8. Derrick Willies’ Highlight Play: The word from Berea is that we have a new “top play of training camp,” and it’s for the combination of QB Baker Mayfield to WR Derrick Willies. You don’t see a lot of super deep passes in 11-on-11 drills during training camp, but Mayfield let one loose and Willies made the one-hand snag for a touchdown as he was falling, despite close coverage from CB T.J. Carrie. Of course, he’ll get a lecture afterward about punting the ball, which is a 15-yard penalty.
Baker Mayfield with his first deep ball of camp (seriously) to Derrick Willies, who made a one-handed catch for 6. About a 50-something yard throw. Penalty at the end as Willies kicked the ball. #Browns pic.twitter.com/9JozMzacEW— Hayden Grove (@H_Grove) August 5, 2019
9. Brownies: RB Trayone Gray, DE Chad Thomas, and CB Phillip Gaines all returned to practice. ... C Austin Corbett took snaps at backup center. ... There was a brief squabble between RB D’Ernest Johnson and S Tigie Sankoh. ... WR Ishmael Hyman made some more catches with the second-team offense. ... RB Kareem Hunt continues to be eased back into practice. ... A total of 76 puppies have been adopted at the Browns Puppy Pound at training camp this year.
10. Next Up: The Browns will practice on Tuesday from 10:00 AM to 12:30 PM.