The Browns final practice before their first preseason game so OBJ shine.
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 11 (8/6/19)
1. Military Day at Browns Camp: There were nearly 200 military guests and family members representing all branches of the military at camp today, to be recognized by the Browns for their service through the USO of Northern Ohio. Military guests also received lunch from Arby’s.
#Browns hosting nearly 200 military guests and family members representing all branches at camp today pic.twitter.com/esTiIu3A78— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 6, 2019
2. A Different Kicker Update: Neither kicker has been overwhelmingly dominant in camp so far, but Greg Joseph has topped Austin Seibert in every competition, until today. First, let’s look at a different type of update that is also important for a kicker: their depth on kickoffs. Per Jeff Ridson, Seibert is hitting the ball better on those:
Austin Seibert consistently getting more distance on his kickoffs. Joseph hasn't put one out of the EZ yet. Joseph has a better high ball but Seibert goes directional a little better today— Jeff Risdon (@JeffRisdon) August 6, 2019
In the scripted kicking portion of camp, Joseph finally had a couple of misses. Although Seibert wasn’t perfect (he missed one), he was good from 50 yards, and it was the first time he “beat” Joseph. Even with one down day for Joseph, he’s still ahead of Seibert overall.
Rookie fifth-round pick Austin Seibert made 4 of 5 field goals (made 33, made 40, missed 45, made made 43, made 50). Greg Jospeh made 3 of 5 (missed 33 and 50). #Browns— Nate Ulrich (@ByNateUlrich) August 6, 2019
3. Drill of the Day: Here is an obstacle that forces the offensive linemen to keep their pad level low. This will definitely emphasize that, because I wouldn’t want to stand up and get caught in that thing.
Offensive linemen work on staying low on their blocks. #Browns pic.twitter.com/pY6cSUOsiT— Jeff Schudel (@jsproinsider) August 6, 2019
4. Beckham’s Highlight Reel: QB Baker Mayfield is red hot, and his receivers are taking advantage. A day after missing practice due to illness, WR Odell Beckham Jr. was back and making some highlight-reel grabs. Here is one of the touchdowns he caught, with CB T.J. Carrie in tight coverage:
Baker Mayfield. Odell Beckham. Need I say more? #Browns pic.twitter.com/jgyUUiAU7b— Mac Robinson (@MacRobinsonCLE) August 6, 2019
And then, here is Mayfield and Beckham connecting down the sideline for big yardage. How can you stop this offense?
Odell Beckham Jr. is on another level— 92.3 The Fan (@923TheFan) August 6, 2019
5. Pick Six at Own 1-Yard Line: The first-team offense certainly won’t be happy about this one. For the first time in camp, there was a drill that started the offense at their own 1-yard line, with the whole field to go. The first pass by QB Baker Mayfield bounced off the facemask of TE David Njoku. The next pass was a pick six by S Jermaine Whitehead:
Jermaine Whitehead picks off Baker at the 1-yard line for a TD. #Browns pic.twitter.com/A8KLEyDddk— Hayden Grove (@H_Grove) August 6, 2019
6. Mack Wilson Does it Again: Once could be a fluke, but LB Mack Wilson is making a habit out of this. He had another pick six toward the end of practice on a throw by QB Drew Stanton:
LB Mack Wilson with the pick-six off Drew Stanton inside the ten. pic.twitter.com/y2U8glOt93— Mac Robinson (@MacRobinsonCLE) August 6, 2019
7. Pressure Situation: Practice ended with the Browns’ offense losing 23-21, needing a field goal to win it. A completion to WR Odell Beckham Jr. helped set K Greg Joseph up for a 45-yard field goal, but all the reporters noted that a heavy wind started blowing against Joseph, making it tougher. Joseph came through — it was right down the middle, albeit dying toward the end:
Greg Joseph hits 45-yard game-winning FG to end practice #Browns pic.twitter.com/9ArjYXP2ij— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 6, 2019
8. Brownies: OG Eric Kush was the first-team right guard for the third straight day. ... OL Kyle Kalis left practice with an athletic trainer. ... Hall of Fame WR Paul Warfield attended camp. ... Former Browns LT Joe Thomas was at camp, broadcasting for the NFL Network. ... WR Ishmael Hyman got some first-team reps and caught a 50-yard pass from QB Baker Mayfield. ... S Eric Murray had a pick six off of a tipped pass thrown by QB Drew Stanton. ... DL Devaroe Lawrence did a good job getting pressure on the day, as the first-team defensive line sat out again. ... Head coach Freddie Kitchens isn’t sure if the starters will play on Thursday. ... A total of 82 puppies have been adopted at the Browns Puppy Pound at training camp this year.
9. Next Up: The Browns do not practice on Wednesday. They host the Redskins at FirstEnergy Stadium at 7:30 PM on Thursday for their first preseason game. Their next training camp practice is Friday, and it’ll be their first afternoon practice, running from 2:45 PM to 4:45 PM.
Today we hosted nearly 200 military guests and family members from all branches at #BrownsCamp!— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) August 6, 2019
We were happy to recognize them and thank them for their service @BrownsGiveBack pic.twitter.com/Q0JsxHe4Os
Military Appreciation Day at #BrownsCamp! We hosted @USONorthernOhio, Gold Star families and local vets. Thank you to those who have served and continue to serve our country! pic.twitter.com/WDcrXSL0XV— BrownsGiveBack (@BrownsGiveBack) August 6, 2019
2-Minute Drill: @NathanZegura breaks down Day 11 of #BrownsCamp pic.twitter.com/KbXTfsTEXB— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) August 6, 2019