A day after winning their first preseason game, the Browns were straight back to practicing.
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 12 (8/9/19)
1. Callaway’s Suspension: The mystery of WR Antonio Callaway and why he’s been further on down the depth chart this camp has been figured out: he’s serving a four-game suspension to begin the season.
Making things even worse for him, Callaway suffered a high ankle sprain in the preseason opener and continued playing through it. But now, he not only won’t practice for awhile with the injury, but he’ll miss those first four games, as mentioned. That is big news for camp, because it gives more legitimacy to the thought of guys like WR Jaelen Strong or WR Derrick Willies making the 53-man roster.
2. Defensive Injury Updates: The Browns got some good news on the defensive injury front. DE Genard Avery returned to practice after missing time with an ankle injury. Veteran LB Adarius Taylor (concussion) returned after watching two rookie linebackers take advantage of the extra reps. And lastly, MLB Joe Schobert was back after his wife went into labor on Thursday. Schobert returned with an interception of QB Baker Mayfield off of a tipped pass:
Joe Schobert picks off Baker at the goal line pic.twitter.com/3KVen6mu9G— Jake Trotter (@Jake_Trotter) August 9, 2019
3. No Pads: Head coach Freddie Kitchens isn’t shy about having pads in practice. However, he finally gave it a rest, considering the team just played its first preseason game on Thursday:
Browns not in full pads after 9 practices + 1 game. Entire starting D-line is back on field.— Tony Grossi (@TonyGrossi) August 9, 2019
4. Drill of the Day: For the first time, let’s take a look at an important special teams drill for this section: downing punts! It’s not always an exact science, as the ball can take crazy bounces, but it’s good to get repetitions with it:
#Browns working on downing punts. Coaches want them to make a play when the ball gets inside the 5. They don’t have to get greedy waiting for it to get to the 1 and risk a touchback. pic.twitter.com/hHJhspYR5v— Jeff Schudel (@jsproinsider) August 9, 2019
5. Two-Minute Touchdown: You have to wonder if we’ll see a bit of the two-minute offense outside of two minutes this year if QB Baker Mayfield keeps running it this effectively. A day after he threw a touchdown pass to WR Rashard Higgins in it to open the game, he found WR Odell Beckham for a touchdown during the drill:
6. Kitchens on Coaching in First NFL Game:
“It was different from the standpoint of things leading up the game, but once the game started, it was really no different. You always as a position coach or the coordinator the last eight weeks of the year, your mind is always thinking about situations – at least mine was – and stuff like that. It is nothing you need to advertise. In your mind mentally, you are kind of preparing and wondering what you would do or asking yourself what you would do. Those situations that we were in, I would like to think that I have been in those situations before, but leading up to the game, of course, it is different. You have a lot of things to think about. Do you want to take the ball or do you want to kick it? OR who are the captains?”
7. Kitchens on Taking Care of D. Sheehy-Guiseppi:
“I have seen him over here a couple of times [late at the facility], and I send his ass home to get some rest. One thing everybody needs to understand is rest is crucial to your development from a mental standpoint and a physical standpoint. That is the body’s natural means for correcting imbalances in the mind and the body. He needs to understand that. He has been over here [late] before. He is probably not over here very often now.”
8. Brownies: OG Eric Kush remains the starting right guard. ... CB Robert Jackson intercepted QB Garrett Gilbert in a two-minute drill. ... RB Kareem Hunt took part in some team drills. ... A total of 95 puppies have been adopted at the Browns Puppy Pound at training camp this year. ... To celebrate the Browns Puppy Pound surpassing 400 all-time adoptions, Sugardale will present the Northeast Ohio SCPA a $5,000 donation near the Browns Puppy Pound at 2 p.m. tomorrow (Saturday, Aug. 10).
9. Next Up: The Browns will practice on Saturday from 2:45 PM to 4:45 PM.