- Browns rack up $70,185 in fines from 18-penalty dud of a season opener (ohio.com) - The lack of discipline the Browns displayed in their season opener against the Tennessee Titans cost them in the form of an embarrassing 43-13 loss at FirstEnergy Stadium. But it’ll also cost several of their players in another way.
- Can Genard Avery find a spot on game-day roster? (cleveland.com) - There was a time when Genard Avery was used as an example of John Dorsey’s ability to find talent in the middle rounds of the NFL draft. But Avery seemed cemented to third-team reps during training camp, and then was inactive in Week 1 against the Titans. With defensive end Chris Smith returning to practice Saturday and hoping to play on Monday, when will we see the player some thought was a part of transforming the Browns into a contender?
- Chris Smith breaks his silence after girlfriend’s death (People.com) - Cleveland Browns defensive end Chris Smith dedicated a touching message to honor his girlfriend Petara Cordero, who died in a car accident on Wednesday, weeks after the couple welcomed daughter Haven Harris Smith.
- Baker Mayfield looks to bounce back, beat blitz and create another memory against Jets (Browns Zone) - Everyone remembers the Jets game from last season. t will also come in handy this week as the Browns prepare to meet the Jets again Monday night in New Jersey. Mayfield threw three fourth-quarter interceptions in an ill-fated comeback attempt last week in the 43-13 opening loss to the Titans.
- Johnathan Abram fined for play that ended his season (NFL.com) - The NFL has informed Johnathan Abram that he is being fined $28,075 for lowering the head to initiate contact in Monday’s win over the Broncos -- and the Raiders’ promising rookie safety is prepared to mount a unique (and painful) defense.
- Terrell Suggs returns to Baltimore to face Ravens (azcentral.com) - When he isn’t trying to sack quarterbacks, Cardinals outside linebacker Terrell Suggs dabbles in movie production, acting and screenwriting. Given that, he was asked Friday morning what he thought of a storyline centered around a NFL veteran in his 17th season playing a game against a team and in a city where he spent the previous 16?
- NFL starts review as Shepard concussed (ESPN) - The NFL and NFLPA have initiated a standard review of concussion protocols after New York Giants receiver Sterling Shepard suffered a concussion last Sunday and was allowed to finish the game, league sources told ESPN on Saturday.
- Cowboys have talked to Dolphins, presumably about Minkah Fitzpatrick (PFT) - The Dolphins have given Minkah Fitzpatrick permission to seek a trade. The Cowboys could use an upgrade at safety. So have the Cowboys had conversations with the Dolphins the past 24 hours?