- Why offensive line coach Bill Callahan is one of the big reasons the Browns offense is off to a hot start (cleveland.com) - To figure out what makes offensive line coach Bill Callahan such an important piece of the Browns’ hot start, it’s not a bad idea to go back to his early days in the NFL. After a long stretch as a college coach, Callahan’s journey at the game’s highest level started in 1995 when he was offensive line coach in Philadelphia before going to Oakland in 1998.
- Odell Beckham Jr. tests negative for COVID-19 ahead of Pittsburgh Steelers game (ESPN) - Cleveland wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. tested negative for COVID-19 again, which cleared the way for him to reenter the Browns’ practice facility Saturday and play Sunday in Pittsburgh, a source told ESPN.
- Plenty at stake for Steelers, Browns in AFC North hierarchy (Triblive.com) - Cameron Heyward had an interesting way this week of describing the Pittsburgh Steelers’ AFC North showdown Sunday with the Cleveland Browns. “I know it’s not a late-night game,” Heyward said, “but it’s a prime-time game.”
- Back from injury, little has changed about Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger (Beacon Journal) - Guess who’s back? After missing most of last season and the annual games between the rivals with an elbow injury, Pittsburgh Steelers (4-0) quarterback Ben Roethlisberger returns to face a Browns (4-1) team that is a wee bit different than when they last met.
- Chiefs make Le’Veon Bell signing official but his KC debut might not come this week (kansascity.com) - The Chiefs officially welcomed running back Le’Veon Bell by announcing his signing Saturday afternoon. With the announcement, Bell is now on the 53-player roster but isn’t likely to play Monday against the Buffalo Bills given he just joined the team.
- Steve Young: Lack of trust between Jimmy Garoppolo, Kyle Shanahan holding 49ers back (sfgate.com) - The San Francisco 49ers are injury ravaged at the moment, but Steve Young thinks something else is plaguing his former team. From Young’s vantage point, the 2-3 49ers are struggling in large part due to a lack of trust between head coach Kyle Shanahan and starting quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo.
- Week 6 injury report for Sunday’s slate of NFL action (NFL.com) - Week 6 of the 2020 season is here. Below is the official injury report and game day designations for all 12 games on Sunday.
- Four years after a gruesome injury, Cecil Shorts is back around football (tampabay.com) - Cecil Shorts III doesn’t talk much about his NFL career unless the kids ask. He’s an assistant football coach at Second Baptist School in Houston. Until this year, he resisted his “calling.” But his father was a football coach. He uncle was a football coach. And having scaled the mountain from tiny Mount Union to the league, he felt he had a lot to offer those boys going through the most formative years of their lives.