- Hue Jackson says Browns not helping Baker Mayfield’s confidence (ESPN) - Former Cleveland coach Hue Jackson said Baker Mayfield needs to regain his confidence, and Jackson suggested the Browns should be calling more passing plays out of the shotgun formation to help their quarterback.
- Myles Garrett downplays division losses (Beacon Journal) - Defensive end Myles Garrett was among those who voiced what seems to be the Browns’ mantra this week of not letting one loss turn into two as they try to change their culture.
- A loss like Sunday’s provides another opportunity to learn about Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski (cleveland.com) - To understand if the Browns are making progress under Kevin Stefanski last season, let’s go back to one of the darkest nights of the 2019 season. The Browns traveled to Santa Clara to face the 49ers, a week after shocking the Ravens, 40-25. Everyone was feeling good. The ship was moving in the right direction.
- Browns defense can’t survive without forcing turnovers (Browns Zone) - The Browns were missing part of their DNA in Pittsburgh, which was one of many reasons they were blown out. During the four-game winning streak that preceded the trip to Pittsburgh, the defense totaled 11 takeaways. The well ran dry against the Steelers, who instead intercepted Baker Mayfield twice, leading to 14 early points in the 38-7 victory.
- The NFL’s worst division might actually be its worst ever (The Ringer) - A catastrophic mix of injuries, incompetence, and irrelevancy has turned the 2020 NFC East into a historically awful group. Just how bad have things gotten? It might take only four wins to claim the division.
- Buccaneers close to one-year deal with WR Antonio Brown (NFL.com) - Antonio Brown will be eligible to play in the NFL in about two weeks. He might be on a team before then. The Buccaneers are close to agreeing on a one-year deal with Brown, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Friday. The former All-Pro is scheduled to visit Tampa Bay this weekend, thanks to the urging of quarterback Tom Brady, who first campaigned for the Bucs to pursue Brown upon his own signing in March, per Rapoport and NFL Network’s Michael Giardi.
- Dwayne Haskins fined for violating club’s COVID-19 policy (CBS Sports) - Dwayne Haskins has been fined $4,833 by the Washington Football Team for violating the club’s COVID-19 policy, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. The violation, which could have cost Haskins up to $14,650, occurred when he made a reservation for a family friend, which has been prohibited by the team. The violation occurred prior to Washington’s loss to the Giants last Sunday.
- Steve McLendon knew Jets were trading him before playing against Dolphins (NY Post) - Steve McLendon says he knew his time with the Jets was up — and he still suited up for winless Gang Green anyway.