Cleveland Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski continued to fill out his coaching staff over the weekend.
While the Browns have not confirmed the hirings, Stefanski will reportedly hire Jason Tarver as linebackers coach, according to Nate Ulrich of The Beacon Journal:
Stefanski will also reportedly hire T.C. McCartney as an offensive assistant, according to cleveland.com’s Mary Kay Cabot:
Tarver has a relationship with new defensive coordinator Joe Woods as the two worked together with the Oakland Raiders in 2014 - Tarver was the defensive coordinator and Woods was a defensive backs coach.
After working as a defensive assistant with the San Francisco 49ers from 2015 to 2017, Tarver was the defensive coordinator at Vanderbilt University for the past two seasons, while also coaching inside and outside linebackers.
In his two seasons running the Commodores defense, the team gave up an average of 29 points per game.
McCartney spent the 2019 season as the quarterback coach with the Denver Broncos, earning some praise for helping develop rookie quarterback Drew Lock over the final five games of the season, when Lock led the Broncos to a 4-1 record. McCartney was let go along with offensive coordinator Rich Scangarello when the Broncos decided that Pat Shurmur was a must get as offensive coordinator.
McCartney previously worked in Cleveland as an offensive quality control coach in 2014. Before joining the Broncos, McCartney spent two seasons on head coach Kyle Shanahan’s staff with the San Francisco 49ers.
Once these hirings become official, Stefanski’s first coaching staff will include:
- Alex Van Pelt, offensive coordinator
- Callie Brownson, chief of staff
- Bill Callahan, offensive line coach
- Stump Mitchell, run game coordinator/running backs coach
- Chad O’Shea, pass game coordinator, wide receivers coach
- Drew Petzing, tight ends coach
- Joe Woods, defensive coordinator
- Chris Kiffin, defensive line coach (not confirmed)
- Mike Priefer, special teams coordinator
- Doug Colman, assistant special teams coordinator
- Jeff Howard, defensive backs coach (not confirmed)
At general manager Andrew Berry’s introductory press conference, Stefanski said he expected to complete his staff within about 10 days, so the remaining positions should be filled soon enough as the Browns prepare for the annual NFL Scouting Combine, which will take place from February 23 through March 2.