The Browns took to the practice field on Monday for their first session in pads.
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 3 (8/17/20)
1. Pads, Contact, and Rain: When it rained in the past, the Browns would just move practice indoors. Not this year. A passing shower came through Berea just as practice started on Monday. Because the weight room has been moved to the indoor practice field, there is only a 50-yard field to work with inside. The team also has a lot to learn in very little time, so they can’t afford to say, “meh, we’ll just take it easy today.”
Monday was the team’s first padded practice. The session was scheduled to last 90 minutes, per NFL rules. Each subsequent practice can add 15 more minutes of practice time. Taking it easy for the first day of practice in pads were WR Jarvis Landry and S Karl Joseph, as both players are coming off of offseason hip and foot surgery, respectively:
Jarvis Landry and Karl Joseph are sitting out #Browns first padded practice today as a precaution. Landry coming off hip surgery. Joseph coming off foot surgery. Myles Garrett (hammy), JC Tretter (knee surgery) and Damion Ratley (groin) remain sidelined.— Nate Ulrich (@ByNateUlrich) August 17, 2020
2. Drill of the Day: I always like watching this drill: the defensive line working on getting a good jump at the movement of the ball.
3. Figuring Out the WR Depth: For the second day in a row, WR JoJo Natson saw action with the first-team offense, even more so with WR Jarvis Landry sitting out. Per Zac Jackson of The Athletic, the group seeing reps with the second-team offense were WR Rashard Higgins, WR KhaDarel Hodge, and WR Taywan Taylor.
4. Looking at Adrian Clayborn: I know this is just a simple drill, but it’s a nice reminder that DE Adrian Clayborn is a bit of an under-the-radar guy in camp for the team to give Cleveland some pass-rushing depth:
5. First-Team Offense Sputters: It’s a whole different ballgame when the pads go on (but it’s also still very early in camp). Per Scott Petrak of the Chronicle-Telegram, during the first team drill of camp, QB Baker Mayfield overthrew WR Odell Beckham deep when he was “wide open.” I guess the good takeaway from that is the Beckham got wide open.
Also, more of the bad: TE David Njoku with a dropped pass, and also being unable to haul in a contested catch. This is the type of stuff that has limited Njoku from being a star over his first three seasons. Daryl Ruiter of 92.3 the Fan had this to say regarding his early observations:
Early observations of team 11-on-11, Stefanski’s creativity is evident with personnel and play calls. They look like they’re getting their bearings. Defense, as is usually the case early in camp, is in the lead #Browns— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 17, 2020
Speaking of Stefanski, it’s nice to see that he might be willing to do some trickery this year. According to Petrak, Beckham got the ball on a reverse, then threw it deep to WR Rashard Higgins, although the pass was broken up.
6. Nick Chubb Evaluated for Concussion: At the end of practice, RB Nick Chubb caught a pass and then was hit around the neck area by LB Mack Wilson.
Hoping to get update from #Browns on Nick Chubb, who wasn’t favoring anything when he left field with trainer.— Tom Withers (@twithersAP) August 17, 2020
Looked like LB Mack Wilson tackled him high after catch.
Chubb was supposed to do an interview on Browns Live at the conclusion of practice. However, he walked off with a trainer instead and is being evaluated for a concussion. RB Kareem Hunt took his place for the interview. A day after Wilson said the linebackers weren’t getting any respect from the media, Nathan Zegura gave them just that:
Very strong day for the defense in Berea today and the young linebackers were flying all over the field. Mack, Taki and Phillips all had strong days as did B.J. Goodson. Taywan Taylor continues to make plays for the offense...he and Hodge have stood out amongst 2nd group WRs— Nathan Zegura (@NathanZegura) August 17, 2020
After practice, Wilson defended himself on Twitter from some of the blowback he was receiving from fans for being over-aggressive on a day when Stefanski told players not to be over-aggressive with contact:
I just practice with a lot of passion, my intentions is to never hurt anyone on my team nor any other player I’m going up against. We good though keep the negative comments to yourself. #NoBarkALLBITE— Mack Wilson (@5mackwilson1) August 17, 2020
7. What Does a Socially Distanced Team Huddle Look Like? Every practice in the past, the team huddles close together to end practice. This year, it’s a bit socially distanced:
Also, from earlier in practice, you can see that the Browns’ practice pants now have orange stripes on them:
8. Brownies: Per the reporters at practice, it was pouring rain pretty heavily throughout practice, and then cleared up just as practice was ending. ... Rookie Grant Delpit took snaps at strong safety with Karl Joseph sitting out. ... When CB Denzel Ward took some reps off, it was CB Donovan Olumba who took his spot on the first-team defense for some reps, per Jeff Ridson of Browns Wire. ... Ridson also says that WR Donovan Peoples-Jones bobbled a punt return, while WR JoJo Natson did not. ... A total of 24 puppies have been adopted via the Browns Puppy Pound this year.
9. Next Up: Day 4 of Browns training camp will be on Tuesday at 2:25 PM.