Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 4 (8/18/20)
1. Not the Best Day for Mack Wilson: Before practice started, head coach Kevin Stefanski confirmed that he was not happy with the hit that LB Mack Wilson gave to RB Nick Chubb on Monday, putting the team’s starting running back in the concussion protocol now. Also before practice, TE David Njoku said that Wilson’s hit “wasn’t right, nor does anybody condone that behavior.”
The Browns sent Wilson a message when team drills started on Tuesday: he was not with the starters. Instead, of was running with the second-team defense. Things got worse later in practice for Wilson: during a 7-on-7 drill, he went down, reaching for his left leg. He was carted off the field after talking to trainers, and the team called it a knee injury after practice.
2. Injury Report: After sitting out the first day of padded practice, WR Jarvis Landry and S Karl Joseph were active and practicing on Tuesday. Players sitting out included DE Myles Garrett (hamstring), WR Damion Ratley (groin), DE George Obinna (triceps — waived/injured), and DT Larry Ogunjobi (groin).
3. Drill of the Day: Here are a couple of your Browns linebackers engaging a block and then getting off of it to wrap up.
4. Mayfield Intercepted Early in Team Drills: Early in team drills, QB Baker Mayfield worked off of playaction, and then stepped up to launch the ball downfield in the direction of WR Odell Beckham. The ball was a bit of a duck, though, and CB Denzel Ward came down with the easy interception:
5. Defense Continues to Ramp it Up: The second-team defense had success too. A pass by QB Case Keenum intended for WR Rashard Higgins was broken up by CB Terrance Mitchell. Then came more of the interceptions, first with LB Jacob Phillips nabbing Keenum with the second-team:
Defense having a day so far. LB Jacob Phillps picks Case Keenum off on the near sideline. Entire D erupts. #Browns— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 18, 2020
A little later, CB M.J. Stewart picked off QB Garrett Gilbert with the third-teamers.
6. Depth Chart Changes: According to Scott Petrak of the Chronicle-Telegram, there were three depth chart changes with the first-team defense: LB Tae Davis was in for LB Mack Wilson, DE Porter Gustin replaced DE Chad Thomas (who had been replacing DE Myles Garrett), and DT Jordan Elliott subbing in for the idle Larry Ogunjobi.
In addition to Tae Davis replacing LB Mack Wilson with starters, Porter Gustin replaced Chad Thomas at DE and rookie DT Jordan Elliott in for Larry Ogunjobi (not practicing).— Scott Petrak ct (@ScottPetrak) August 18, 2020
7. High Consistency: You’d love to see your kicker go perfect, but the numbers for K Austin Seibert are pretty solid for the beginning of camp. According to Daryl Ruiter of 92.3 the Fan, Seibert was 11-of-12 on field goals, only missing from one of his 47-yard attempts.
#Browns K Austin Seibert 11 of 12 on FGs during team period.— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 18, 2020
35 ✅✅, 32 ✅✅, 38 ✅, 40 ✅ ✅, 43 ✅✅, 47 ✅ , 53 ✅
8. Offense Comes Alive to Close Out Practice: Don’t be too alarmed at some of the offensive issues you hear about early in camp, as that is how things typically go to begin every year. Some good news is that QB Baker Mayfield got in a groove during the second half of practice, and multiple reporters have talked about the rhythm that he and TE Austin Hooper have been in.
Baker and the Browns offense picked it up in the second team session of practice. Got the ball at quickly and accurately to his big targets: OBJ, Landry and Hooper. #Browns— Hayden Grove (@H_Grove) August 18, 2020
9. Brownies: CB Kevin Johnson executed a corner blitz during practice for a sack on QB Baker Mayfield. ... LT Jedrick Wills had another false start in team drills; OL Chris Hubbard saw a little work with the first-team offense at left tackle. ... A total of 30 puppies have been adopted via the Browns Puppy Pound this year.
10. Next Up: The Browns’ next practice session will be Wednesday at 2:25 PM.