After a few days of a little drama at Browns training camp, what was in store for Wednesday's practice?
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 5 (8/19/20)
1. Denzel Ward With a Strong Start: One of the players off to a solid start to camp this year is CB Denzel Ward. Early on in practice, you can see him working on his one-on-one ball skills in a drill. After an early-season injury last year limited some of Ward’s instinctual play until late in the season, here’s to hoping No. 21 can stay healthy in 2020.
Overall, it was deemed a light practice day for Ward specifically, although he was involved in this “hit” on TE Pharoah Brown that he pulled up on. The coaches reportedly gave him a brief talking to afterward.
2. Beckham Thrives at One-Handers: To many receivers, catching the ball with two hands is hard enough. To WR Odell Beckham Jr, working on one-handed grabs comes second nature. He makes it look so easy:
One more, higher degree of difficulty pic.twitter.com/v5heoAKlGR— Dan Labbe (@dan_labbe) August 19, 2020
3. Getting Physical: The Browns started to ramp up the physical nature of practice with some individual blocking drills. It’s not bad to have contact in practice, as long as it’s structured and both sides know it is coming. Below, you can get a glimpse of the backs and tight ends going up against Cleveland’s linebackers (minus LB Mack Wilson).
4. Offense Sputters Again Early: According to reporters at practice, the first-team offense was a bit slow to start things off again, with incomplete passes, and DE Porter Gustin making the most of his opportunity with two virtual sacks:
That’s two sacks in the first team drill for Porter Gustin, who got bumped to the first unit at LDE yesterday.— Zac Jackson (@AkronJackson) August 19, 2020
It is worth noting that the first-team offense is without RB Nick Chubb, and WR Jarvis Landry had another day of rest while WR Odell Beckham Jr. was taking it easy as well. During the next 11-on-11 drill, QB Baker Mayfield tried to find TE David Njoku deep, but overthrew him and the pass was intercepted by S Andrew Sendejo:
5. Drill of the Day: Today’s drill features receivers catching a quick pass and then bracing for contact right afterward:
6. Red Zone Success: While the offense was struggling in general, one highlight came in a red zone drill, when QB Baker Mayfield rolled out and hit WR Donovan Peoples-Jones for a touchdown:
7. Brownies: CB M.J. Stewart saw some reps with the first-team defense. ... DE Adrian Clayborn had a virtual sack on QB Baker Mayfield. ... The players returning punts for Cleveland were WR JoJo Natson, WR Donovan Peoples-Jones, and RB D’Ernest Johnson. ... P Jamie Gillan sat out of practice with an illness. ... Not visible at practice, the Browns brought in four kickers for a workout: Nick Folk, Kai Forbath, Matthew McCrane, and a familiar face in Cody Parkey. ... Per Mary Kay Cabot, LB Mack Wilson “is getting a second opinion from noted surgeon Dr. James Andrews and might not know for a few weeks if he needs season-ending surgery.” ... A total of 37 puppies have been adopted via the Browns Puppy Pound this year.
8. Next Up: The Browns will practice on Thursday starting at 2:25 PM.