Even though we didn’t have a practice report on Sunday, it was still Day 8 of practice after all of the test result confusion that eventually led to the closed-door session. Therefore, we are calling Monday’s practice Day 9.
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 9 (8/24/20)
1. Everyone Cleared to Return: Like all the other teams, the everyone with the false positive tests (who had to miss Sunday’s practice) were cleared to return on Monday, once they registered another negative test. It was down-to-the-wire, though, as far as timing goes. There were 12 players who were in question, and they all were cleared to practice just before it began.
Head coach Kevin Stefanski said that he was also one of the false positives, so he could not coach the team on Sunday. Defensive coordinator Joe Woods took over the team. Although it drove Stefanski crazy not to be there, he also acknowledged that it served as a good dry run for their contingency plan if something like this were to happen during the regular season.
2. Grant Delpit’s Season is Over: During Monday’s practice, rookie second-round safety Grant Delpit suffered an Achilles’ injury and had to be carted off. The extent of his injury was being evaluated through the evening, when Ian Rapoport dropped the bad news:
#Browns rookie S Grant Delpit has suffered a torn Achilles, the MRI confirmed. This ends his promising season before it began.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) August 25, 2020
It was part of a wide-ranging issue of injuries that have suddenly piled up in the Browns’ secondary. CB Greedy Williams (shoulder) and CB M.J. Stewart (hamstring) had to leave Monday’s practice too with injuries. CB Terrance Mitchell (knee), CB Kevin Johnson (lacerated liver), and S Karl Joseph (foot) didn’t practice at all. That means, for depth chart purposes, rookie undrafted free agent S Elijah Benton was running with the first-team defense all of a sudden.
3. Rest of the Secondary: With all of the injuries, the other players in the Browns’ first-team secondary included CB Denzel Ward, CB Donovan Olumba, CB Tavierre Thomas (nickelback), and S Sheldrick Redwine. CB Donnie Lewis Jr. also took some reps rotating in as the nickelback.
Olumba at corner in Greedy Williams’ spot. Redwine now at safety. Tavierre Thomas at slot corner.— Zac Jackson (@AkronJackson) August 24, 2020
4. Drill of the Day: LB Malcolm Smith made his debut with the Browns, so he gets featured in our drill of the day, running around the markers.
5. A Good Cleaning: I always love these little observations: Daryl Ruiter of 92.3 the Fan showed how all of the equipment gets sanitized after the players are done using them in individual drills.
6. Tight Ends See Red Zone Success: The Browns’ tight ends saw some success during red zone drills. The first play of the drill for the first-team offense saw QB Baker Mayfield connect with rookie TE Harrison Bryant for a touchdown. Then, with the second-team offense, QB Case Keenum found TE Pharaoh Brown for a touchdown.
7. Brownies: Cleveland ended practice with a slower-paced walkthrough of the team being down by 6 points with 90 seconds to go. ... WR Odell Beckham Jr. left practice a bit early, but is fine. ... LB Solomon Ajayi (heat) left practice early. ... The Browns practiced in pads and had some light tackling drills. ... Offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt said that they worked on QB Baker Mayfield’s footwork this season, and rookie LT Jedrick Wills is coming along. ... The next few practices will start to see the installation of the two-minute offense. ... A total of 60 puppies have been adopted via the Browns Puppy Pound this year.
8. Next Up: The Browns have scheduled an early practice for Tuesday, starting at 10:55 AM. After practice, defensive coordinator Joe Woods will speak.