As far as injury news goes, we can at least say that Cleveland made it through Tuesday’s session OK, which is progress I guess. Let’s get to the recap of the scheduled morning practice.
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 10 (8/25/20)
1. Positive Defensive Back News: Although S Grant Delpit will have surgery on his torn Achilles, Cleveland did have some positive injury news on the defensive backs for Tuesday’s practice. As reported the other day, CB Kevin Johnson was dressed and doing some light strength and conditioning drills. Johnson will do that for the next two weeks before being re-evaluated:
Good to see CB Kevin Johnson (28) on the field with Denzel Ward. Johnson suffered a lacerated liver. pic.twitter.com/KROHSrWEsw— Fred Greetham (@FredGreetham) August 25, 2020
After sitting out with a knee injury on Monday, CB Terrance Mitchell was also doing some conditioning work off to the side.
2. Drill of the Day: Who loves to see DT Larry Ogunjobi tear through stuff? After missing most of the practice sessions with a groin injury, the big man was back in action on Tuesday, a good sign for the defense:
3. What the Safety Position Looks Like: We knew all along that Karl Joseph would be one of the Browns’ starting safeties, and he’ll probably be at strong safety. During Tuesday’s practice, Joseph and veteran Andrew Sendejo were the first-team safeties. Per Fred Greetham of The OBR, Joseph came down with a diving interception after a pass went off the hands of WR Jarvis Landry.
Speaking of Landry, after taking part in team drills, he left practice early with a trainer. He wasn’t listed on the Browns’ post-practice injury report, though, so I assume all is well with him.
4. Rookie LB Comes Through: Cleveland may be missing their second round safety, but it gives us more of a chance to put the spotlight on some other rookies. Per Zac Jackson, LB Jacob Phillips made a nice play on a pass intended for TE Austin Hooper:
Rookie Jacob Phillips with a nice breakup of a pass intended for Hooper. Phillips is big and fast so I’d assume the plan is to get him ready to play in 2-LB sets.— Zac Jackson (@AkronJackson) August 25, 2020
5. One-on-One Work for Jedrick Wills: Sometimes, we don’t get to hear too much about individual match-ups in practice, and I still haven’t heard the media talk about any match-up between rookie LT Jedrick Wills and DE Myles Garrett. Here is a brief clip of Wills getting in some one-on-one work at getting the first punch at a would-be rusher.
6. Offense Not Impressing: This mainly refers to the passing game, because you can’t evaluate the running game too much in practice without live hitting. Cleveland ran two drills of the two-minute offense, down by two points, trying to get into field goal range. Per Zac Jackson, the defense won both drills, and everyone echoed that it was another bad day for the offense.
That’s a little more concerning when you think about some of the injuries that side of the ball has had to deal with, but like we discussed the other day, a little bit of patience is required with learning and installing a new offense in such a short time.
Look, the view sucks. We don't know even 15% of the scheme, but the ball is constantly hitting the ground and QBs look ... bad.— Jake Burns (@jake_burns18) August 25, 2020
No, I don't the season is over or this is even worth thinking about too much but an ugly day so far.
Yikes. Not great in Berea offensively.— Hayden Grove (@H_Grove) August 25, 2020
On the bright side of things, the final play of practice was this 25-yard touchdown pass from QB Baker Mayfield to WR Rashard Higgins:
7. Brownies: DE Chad Thomas left practice early with a neck injury. ... RB Nick Chubb delivered a nice stiff arm to someone during practice. ... S Karl Joseph had two interceptions on the day. ... The reason that practice was scheduled for 10:55 AM today was that it was moved up due to the threat of afternoon rain. ... Defensive coordinator Joe Woods is hopeful that LB Mack Wilson will be back soon.
8. Brownies II: CB Greedy Williams (shoulder) and CB M.J. Stewart (hamstring) remained out. ... DE Adrian Clayborn sat out with a groin injury. ... Per ESPN’s Jake Trotter, WR D.J. Montgomery made a nice one-handed catch on a deep pass, with CB Denzel Ward in coverage. ... Head coach Kevin Stefanski says that live tackling will be coming soon. ... A total of 65 puppies have been adopted via the Browns Puppy Pound this year.
9. Next Up: The Browns have an off day on Wednesday. Special teams coach Mike Priefer will speak on Thursday, followed by practice at 2:25 PM.