Cleveland practiced indoors for the first time this camp.
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 12 (8/28/20)
1. Trying to Predict the Rain: Friday’s practice was originally scheduled for 2:25 PM, but in the morning, the team announced that they were moving practice to 11:30 AM since rain and thunderstorms were predicted for much of the day.
It rained heavily in the morning before stopping right around when practice would have started, but the Browns decided to cancel the outdoor practice anyway and close it off to the media. Funny enough, the later storms held off — it would have been sunny weather at 2:25 PM, and they would’ve gotten through the entire practice before the clouds let loose again around 4:30 PM. What that in mind, today’s recap of practice will be very, very light.
2. Drill of the Day: Here are the receivers going through the motions of catching a quick pass after cutting to the outside. You can see WR Donovan Peoples-Jones in the clip — after practice, head coach Kevin Stefanski said that “he’s a versatile football player” and that you can “line him up everywhere.”
3. Play of the Day: In 7-on-7 drills, QB Baker Mayfield hit WR Odell Beckham in the corner of the end zone. Hopefully they can get this rhythm down more in 2020:
4. Using the Indoor Facility: As you can see in the clip above, the weight room takes up part of the indoor field now, making it smaller than usual. With that said, head coach Kevin Stefanski was surprised how much they were able to accomplish despite the field limitations. If they’re going to be inside, it’s smart that red zone and goal line drills are implemented.
“That place got bigger all of a sudden. I do not know how that worked. The tempo was high. They were moving around. It helped that we had some goal line, some red zone and some backed up so we really were using that end of the end zone because there is a weight room on the other side. I really was pleased with what we were able to get done.”
5. Greedy Injury Update: The news on CB Greedy Williams’ shoulder injury has been a bit vague, but after practice, head coach Kevin Stefanski played down the severity of it, saying that the second-year corner just day-to-day.
6. Brownies: This was the first time the Browns practiced indoors this year. ... The team was in full pads. ... WR KhaDarel Hodge returned to practice after missing several sessions due to personal days. ... The following players missed practice: LB Adrian Clayborn (groin), CB Kevin Johnson (liver), S Karl Joseph (foot), WR Jarvis Landry (hip), CB M.J. Stewart Jr. (hamstring), C JC Tretter (knee), CB Greedy Williams (shoulder) and LB Mack Wilson (knee). ... A total of 73 puppies have been adopted via the Browns Puppy Pound this year.
7. Next Up: The Browns will be back on the practice field Saturday at 2:25 PM. Thunderstorms are expected for the morning, but should clear up by the afternoon.