- Sheldrick Redwine rises to front of Browns’ fight against social injustice, racial inequality (Beacon Journal) - Sheldrick Redwine has a chance to evolve into a more valuable football player for the Browns in the upcoming season, but he has already become something more important. Redwine seized an opportunity offered by new Browns coach Kevin Stefanski to join the team’s social justice leadership committee composed of 11 players and has risen this offseason as an effective voice in the organization’s fight against racial inequality.
- The most pleasant surprise of Browns camp so far? The linebackers (cleveland.com) - We spent so much time this offseason talking about linebackers. Why didn’t the Browns do a better job addressing the position? Who’s going to play where? What does this front office and coaching staff even think of linebackers? Not to make too much of the first two weeks of training camp, but let’s make too much of the first two weeks of training camp and say we feel pretty good about the linebackers, at least for now.
- ‘He’s all ball’: No excuses for Browns’ Baker Mayfield in Year 3 (ESPN) - Before knowing that the coronavirus pandemic would sweep the country, Kevin Stefanski knew he needed to go meet his quarterback. The new Cleveland Browns head coach phoned his father, a front-office executive with the Detroit Pistons, to inform him he was headed to Austin, Texas, the following morning to see Baker Mayfield.
- Greedy Williams still day-to-day with shoulder injury (Browns Zone) - Cornerback Greedy Williams hasn’t practiced since walking off the field Monday with a shoulder injury, but coach Kevin Stefanski indicated Williams won’t miss significant time. “He’s truly day to day,” Stefanski said Friday.
- Budda Baker’s contract furthers NFL trend (NFL.com) - Despite some narratives floated on Twitter about the position’s inferior status, the escalating value of the safety market signals a philosophical shift in war rooms across the league. Decision-makers are not only handing over big checks to ballhawks, but they’re beginning to really covet box-area defenders with a variety of skills. Look no further than Budda Baker.
- Can the NFL force Dan Snyder to sell? (The Athletic) - The NFL over the years has avoided the subject of whether it would force a scandal-tarred owner to sell. The topic has taken on more relevancy in the wake of new details from the Washington Post of the Washington Football Team’s toxic work culture, including allegations over lewd cheerleader videos and a claim that Dan Snyder suggested a cheerleader join his friend in a hotel room. Snyder’s lengthy statement says the Post’s story “reads like a hit job.”
- Ranking every division in the NFL (PFF) - It may not seem like it, but the start of the 2020 NFL season is now less than two weeks away. That September 10 game between the Houston Texans and Kansas City Chiefs will finally give us the opportunity to talk about actual NFL football again, but for now, there is still time to fire off some more preseason rankings. In this case, it’s the turn of the eight NFL divisions.