Let’s get right into the Day 13 practice report for your Cleveland Browns.
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 13 (8/29/20)
1. No Pads: With the Browns set to practice at FirstEnergy Stadium on Sunday, Cleveland practiced in shorts without pads on Saturday.
2. Drill of the Day: This is a cool camera angle for the quarterback accuracy drill, seeing QB Baker Mayfield put it on target and right through the net:
3. Third WR Role: As I have mentioned in the past, whoever wins the No. 3 receiving job will likely not see a lot of reps on gameday, based on Kevin Stefanski’s history. But, you still want a reliable person for that role, and also, you want someone else reliable in general in the event they need to fill in for WR Odell Beckham or WR Jarvis Landry. Prior to practice, receivers coach Chad O’Shea was asked about the third receiving job, and said that WR Rashard Higgins, among others, have done a nice job. When asked specifically about WR KhaDarel Hodge, he gave him some nice praise:
#Browns WR coach Chad O'Shea on KhaDarel Hodge: I've been extremely impressed with him, have a great deal of respect for how he plays, he's given himself opportunity to play multiple positions b/c he studies very hard, it's very important to add value to team in several diff ways— Nate Ulrich (@ByNateUlrich) August 29, 2020
Hodge and Higgins each saw some work with the first-team offense in practice.
4. Jedrick Wills to Start Week 1: OT Chris Hubbard was not at practice today. After practice, he was listed on the injury report with an ankle injury. Also missing from practice was LB B.J. Goodson (personal). As for starting rookie left tackle Jedrick Wills, offensive line coach Bill Callahan spoke before practice and conveyed what others have said: it’ll take some time for Wills or any rookie to get ready in this shortened season, but he’ll get there:
#Browns Bill Callahan on Jedrick Wills: We've inundated him with technique. The progress has been positive. He's lost his share of battles and won his share of battles.— Scott Petrak ct (@ScottPetrak) August 29, 2020
I feel you learn more in games. And we want him to progress as season goes along where he can handle everything
Head coach Kevin Stefanski left no doubts, though: Wills will 100% be the starting left tackle in Week 1.
5. Njoku’s Mysterious Disappearance: After coming out to begin practice, TE David Njoku walked back inside a little bit after, and “didn’t appear to be injured.” After practice, no mention of Njoku was made on the injury report. A lot of fans on Twitter have jumped to the speculation that Colts TE Trey Burton suffered a calf injury today, and want Cleveland to trade Njoku for S Malik Hooker (since S Grant Delpit is out for the year). That is not a rumor, though — it’s merely fans trying to connect some dots.
TE David Njoku, dressed today, walked back inside just after the start of practice. Didn’t appear to be any injury...— Jake Trotter (@Jake_Trotter) August 29, 2020
6. Still Kicking Reliably: Second-year K Austin Seibert connected on all eight of his field goals to end practice again, continuing his strong camp. One of his kicks ricocheted in off the upright, so maybe he’s learning the Phil Dawson trick. His next big test comes tomorrow at the stadium.
7. Sunday’s Stadium Practice: Head coach Kevin Stefanski said that tomorrow’s practice at FirstEnergy Stadium will serve as a normal practice, and also for the team to get familiar with the stadium itself. They will have at least one “move-the-ball” period that is competitive. The next time they practice at FirstEnergy Stadium, they will treat that one as more of a scrimmage/dress-rehearsal.
#Browns Kevin Stefanski on practice Sunday at stadium: We want to get familiar with surroundings, locker room. It will look like a normal practice for most of it, then we'll have a move-the-ball competitive period.— Scott Petrak ct (@ScottPetrak) August 29, 2020
He said the 2nd practice at stadium will be the dress rehearsal
In addition, offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt will call plays during the Sunday practice:
#Browns coach Kevin Stefanski on whether OC Alex Van Pelt will call plays in stadium practices: We have a plan for play calling, I think we're going to mix it this week, but I'm sticking to the plan and I promise I will update you guys when appropriate— Nate Ulrich (@ByNateUlrich) August 29, 2020
8. Brownies: The Browns have waived WR D.J. Montgomery. ... DE Adrian Clayborn (groin) returned to practice. ... Other players absent from practice included CB Kevin Johnson (liver), CB M.J. Stewart (hamstring), C JC Tretter (knee), CB Greedy Williams (shoulder), and LB Mack Wilson (knee). ... A total of 75 puppies have been adopted via the Browns Puppy Pound this year.
9. Next Up: On Sunday, the Browns will practice at FirstEnergy Stadium, beginning at 1:25 PM. The players have Monday off.