- Free-agent Austin Hooper leads group that could see increased role (Beacon Journal) - The tight end unit, by virtue of the way coach Kevin Stefanski uses players at the position in his offense, might be one of the most crucial for the Browns. Stefanski often uses multiple tight ends in offensive formations. For that reason, some things are clear.
- Browns activate Jarvis Landry and others off PUP; claim CB M.J. Stewart via waivers (cleveland.com) - Browns receiver Jarvis Landry moved one step closer to achieving his goal of being ready for the opener in Baltimore. Landry and several others were activated off the active/physically unable to perform list Saturday, and the Browns claimed cornerback M.J. Stewart via waivers from the Bucs.
- Browns made higher offer to DE Vinny Curry but he’s staying with the Eagles (Browns Wire) - Vinny Curry will stick with the Eagles despite a more lucrative offer on the table from the Cleveland Browns, according to another report out of Philadelphia from Geoff Mosher. It seems the Browns are still interested in upgrading the depth at the defensive end spot.
- Kevin Stefanski eager for Browns to turn ‘teaching’ into ‘doing’ (clevelandbrowns.com) - Kevin Stefanski hasn’t been able to do much hands-on work when it comes to molding his new team into the same form usually expected during this time of the season.
- Why some NFL players opted out (New York Times) - The players who opted out represent a microcosm of N.F.L. rosters: rookies and veterans, practice-squadders and starters, all of whom determined after careful consideration to lessen one risk while absorbing another. In order to keep themselves and their families safer, they will sacrifice the chance to compete for a Super Bowl, forgo showcasing themselves for more lucrative contracts and, in some cases, cede starting jobs and roster spots that may or may not be there next season.
- Quinton Dunbar being removed from Commissioner’s Exempt List (NFL.com) - Seattle Seahawks cornerback Quinton Dunbar is being removed from the Commissioner’s Exempt List, NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reported Saturday afternoon. Dunbar’s removal comes a day after the Broward State (Florida) Attorney’s Office announced it was declining to file criminal charges against Dunbar for his involvement in a May 13 incident in Miramar, Florida due to insufficient evidence.
- Dolphins sign Ricardo Louis (miamidolphins.com) - The Miami Dolphins today announced they have signed wide receiver Ricardo Louis and placed defensive tackle Ray Smith on the reserve/retired list. The team also activated defensive tackle Raekwon Davis, defensive tackle Benito Jones, guard Solomon Kindley and wide receiver Kirk Merritt off the reserve/COVID-19* list.
- Cam Newton’s first public comments as a Patriot hint he’s ready to prove doubters wrong yet again (Yahoo Sports) - Given the choice, Cam Newton would rather be in Carolina, preparing for his 10th season as the franchise quarterback for the Panthers. That’s no knock on his current team, the New England Patriots, a far more successful operation.