It’s starting to get serious in Berea.
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 15 (9/1/20)
1. Tightening Up Access: As the Browns get ready for Week 1 in less than two weeks, they appear to be in lockdown mode regarding what goes on in practice now. No tweets are during open period of practice for media, no reporting on who is with 2nd/3rd team, formations, trick plays, etc.
It makes sense. One might think, “Jeez, already?” Well, yes — today is the start of September. Normally, we would’ve had another week or two of training camp in late July/early August, and four preseason game to tide us over. In a normal season, two weeks before the start of the regular season is when the team goes into lockdown mode, so it’s not out of the ordinary.
#Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said we wrapped up install last week, so now we're really streamlining our systems, and we'll start implementing schemes we think will be good for us in the first couple of weeks of the season— Nate Ulrich (@ByNateUlrich) September 1, 2020
2. Honors for Harrison Bryant: On Tuesday, TE Harrison Bryant was named the team’s Maurice Bassett Award winner. The annual honor is voted on by local reporters, and is awarded to Cleveland’s top-performing rookie at training camp. Recent award winners include previous award-winners include LB Mack Wilson (2019), QB Baker Mayfield (2018) and DE Myles Garrett (2017).
3. Bitonio With Some OL Insight: Before practice, OL Joel Bitonio spoke to the media and talked about some of his fellow linemen. He said that C JC Tretter is trying to push himself to be ready to play in Week 1, and that RG Wyatt Teller really worked on transforming his body this offseason. If you’ve seen pictures of Teller, the guy looks massive.
#Browns guard Joel Bitonio said doesn't know where JC Tretter is physically after 8/13 knee surgery, but he's ready mentally. Said if anyone can play without much prep, it's Tretter. "He's been pushing himself, he's here every day just trying to get back and be ready for Week 1."— Nate Ulrich (@ByNateUlrich) September 1, 2020
4. Drill of the Day: The media is allowed to stick around for the first 30 minutes of practice, which consists of individual drills. They got to see DE Myles Garrett taking part in several drills:
5. Brownies: LB Mack Wilson will not need surgery. ... DE Myles Garrett (wrist) and CB Greedy Williams (shoulder) are still day-to-day, per head coach Kevin Stefanski. ... LB B.J. Goodson returned to practice after missing some time for a personal reason. ... Depending on how the rest of the practice reports go, we’ll see whether it’s newsworthy enough to continue doing the daily camp reports.
6. Next Up: The Browns will practice on Wednesday at 2:25 PM.