The final session of training camp in Berea is down, so let’s get to the recap.
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 17 (9/3/20)
1. The Roster Purge Begins: The Browns will have to cut their final roster down to 53 players by 4:00 PM ET on Saturday. Cleveland cut four players prior to Thursday’s practice, and with the trade for S Ronnie Harrison later on, their roster sat at 76 players. You can read about the four players who were cut here.
Without the preseason to go off of, we can only rely on the buzz from the media at training camp. None of the four players cut made headlines this year, but J.T. Hassell was a semi-popular name prior to camp. Our final 53-man roster projection is here.
2. Chubb Not Worried About Contract: RB Nick Chubb sees some of the contracts that running backs are getting, but he’s just focused on the 2020 season right now. Chubb also talked about how he checked in with LB Mack Wilson after his injury, and holds no hard feelings:
#Browns RB Nick Chubb said LB Mack Wilson reached out to him on text after neck tackle that caused concussion. Chubb said Wilson didn't have to reach out, knows he was just playing hard. Chubb felt awful when Wilson hurt knee next day, said they spent time together in training rm— Scott Petrak ct (@ScottPetrak) September 3, 2020
3. The First A.J. Green Mention: We’ve been waiting to hear anything about CB A.J. Green in camp, but he seems to have been pretty buried on the depth chart. So much so that I pulled him from my 53-man roster projection. However, CB Denzel Ward made a point on Thursday to talk up the undrafted rookie’s play this camp:
#Browns CB Denzel Ward on someone in secondary stepping up with injuries: A.J. Green caught my eye, has been having great camp, making plays when he's been in there.— Scott Petrak ct (@ScottPetrak) September 3, 2020
Green is an undrafted rookie
4. Drill of the Day: Here is a drill of the running backs spinning off of contact:
5. Friday’s Practice Format: Head coach Kevin Stefanski was asked about how the format of Friday night’s practice at the stadium will be. The team will prepare as if they are about to play a game, and then simulate some game action at a quick pace, but it will not be a scrimmage.
“The way we are looking at tomorrow, it is a dress rehearsal in the stadium. I mean that literally in terms of they are going to be in their uniforms, the coaches are going to be dressed in their game attire, we are going put headsets on and the coaches will be up in the booth. It is going to be a crisp, quick practice. It is not going to be a scrimmage.
It is not going to be something where we are going to play the young guys for an hour to see what we have because the truth is, this whole camp has been an evaluation of those young guys. They get evaluated in their individual period and they get evaluated in the classroom so it is way more of a dress rehearsal. The guys need to go through what pregame warmup looks like. Things like that are how we are viewing tomorrow’s practice.”
6. Brownies: After recently returning, LB B.J. Goodson missed practice again for a personal reason. ... WR Jarvis Landry and S Karl Joseph practiced.
7. Next Up: The final practice of training camp will take place Friday at 7:00 PM ET at FirstEnergy Stadium. However, it will also only be available to the media for 30 minutes of stretching.