Celebrations seem to be short-lived these past few weeks. Earlier today, Cleveland Browns right tackle Jack Conklin was named to the first-team All-Pro list. A few hours later, it was announced that the Browns would be practicing on Friday around 4:30 PM for the first time this week, before flying out to Pittsburgh on Saturday.
And then, Kevin Stefanski talked — that’s when the mood got a bit sour again, as he talked about the status of more than a handful of players for Sunday’s game.
OL - Jack Conklin Misses Practice With Illness
- The most alarming news is that Conklin is not practicing on Friday with what is being called an “illness.” He is listed as questionable for the game. You may recall that a couple of weeks ago, just before the Jets game, LT Jedrick Wills was ruled out the morning of the game with an illness (flu-like symptoms). We can only guess at this point, but my guess is that Conklin probably has flu-like symptoms and is testing negative for COVID at this time. If he’s experiencing symptoms, he’d need to test negative twice in a 24-hour span. His status for Sunday’s game is up-in-the-air.
- Wyatt Teller is questionable with his nagging calf injury. Much like he did last week, I expect him to grind through it.
- Michael Dunn is expected to start at left guard.
CB - Terrance Mitchell Questionable for Some Reason
- Adding more mystery to things is the fact that CB Terrance Mitchell is now listed as questionable for a “non-injury related reason.” The team did not use the illness designation like they did with Conklin, so I have no idea what it could be. Stefanski said he “doesn’t have sense whether Mitchell will be able to play Sunday.”
- Stefanski said the same thing about CB Denzel Ward. That one makes sense, because until a player on the COVID list is officially cleared and activated, it does no good for the coach to verbally “guess” whether that player will be available or not. Still, the thought of Cleveland missing their top three cornerbacks (Kevin Johnson included) is pretty damning.
- On the bright side, WR Donovan Peoples-Jones was cleared from his concussion and will practice on Friday.
- Other players listed as questionable include DE Myles Garrett, DL Sheldon Richardson, and CB MJ Stewart. All of them should be able to play.
- Like they are with Ward, the team is still awaiting word to see if TE Harrison Bryant and LB Malcolm Smith will be able to play on Sunday.
- S Jovante Moffatt was placed on the Reserve/COVID-19 list. OL Javon Patterson was activated from the Practice Squad/COVID-19 list.
- WR coach Chad O’Shea returned to the team today.
- After a walk-through on Saturday, the Browns will be flying to Pittsburgh, not taking buses like they usually would. Stefanski said it is to help allow more space and to get to Pittsburgh faster.
We will double dip and use this as our injury report post of the week:
|CB||Terrance Mitchell||Not Injury Related||--||--||DNP||QUESTIONABLE|
|CB||M.J. Stewart Jr.||Calf||LP||LP||LP||QUESTIONABLE|
|K||Chris Boswell||Groin (Right)||LP||FP||LP|