- The Baker Mayfield Dilemma: Is the Cleveland Browns quarterback worth a top-end deal? (PFF) - Baker Mayfield is the fifth quarterback on which Cleveland has spent a first-round pick since 1999, but he’s also the only one who has given the team true hope for the future. The Browns were even thought to be sneaky Super Bowl contenders heading into the 2021 season, with the NFL’s best 1-2 punch at running back, playmaking wide receivers and a ferocious pass rush. But, since it’s the Browns, nothing can ever be simple or easy.
- Baker Mayfield to start Sunday vs. Pittsburgh Steelers (ESPN) - Cleveland quarterback Baker Mayfield will start Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers, Browns coach Kevin Stefanski announced Friday. Mayfield sat out last week’s game against the Denver Broncos after aggravating a torn labrum injury to his non-throwing shoulder he suffered in Week 2. But after a game off, Mayfield said the inflammation in that left shoulder, which now includes a fracture, was “noticeably better.”
- Myles Garrett plans his Cleveland goodbye for Big Ben (Beacon Journal) - If Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is making his final appearance in Cleveland Sunday, Myles Garrett wants to mark the moment his way. He hopes his possible FirstEnergy Stadium goodbye takes the form of multiple sacks.
- Denzel Ward, Donovan Peoples-Jones out for Sunday’s game against Steelers (cleveland.com) - The Browns will be without at least one key player on each side of the ball on Sunday against the Steelers and will monitor a few others as game time approaches. Cornerback Denzel Ward (hamstring) and wide receiver Donovan Peoples-Jones (groin) were both ruled out for Sunday’s game along with rookie safety Richard LeCounte (discipline).
- Rams allowing DeSean Jackson to explore trade options (therams.com) - Los Angels Rams head coach Sean McVay on Friday confirmed the team is allowing wide receiver DeSean Jackson to explore trade options for himself. As a result, Jackson will not play Sunday against the Houston Texans.
- Packers tight end Robert Tonyan out for the season with torn ACL (Green Bay Press Gazette) - The Green Bay Packers left State Farm Stadium with a victory Thursday night, but there was a loss also. Tight end Robert Tonyan suffered a torn left ACL, according to his agent, Jacik Bechta, ending his season and affecting his future.
- Dolphins’ Flores pressed repeatedly on Watson, Tua. Here’s his answer. (Miami Herald) - Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores said Friday that Tua Tagovailoa will be the team’s quarterback for the remainder of 2021 barring injury but refused to rule out a trade for disgruntled Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson.