- Andrew Berry likes how defensive front is starting to take shape (Beacon Journal) - Browns general manager Andrew Berry has been a busy man overhauling the defense in the offseason via free agency. That is especially the case up front where defensive ends Jadeveon Clowney and Takk McKinley were added recently.
- Browns pick up fifth-year options for Baker Mayfield and Denzel Ward (cleveland.com) - The Browns have exercised the fifth-year options of 2018 No. 1 overall pick Baker Mayfield and 2018 No. 4 overall pick Denzel Ward, league sources tell cleveland.com. The two moves were fully expected by the May 3 deadline.
- Andrew Berry puts emphasis on ‘longer-term focus’ rather than ‘instant gratification’ with draft picks (clevelandbrowns.com) - Andrew Berry has always been steadfast in his approach to the NFL Draft in his two years as Browns’ Executive Vice President of Football Operations and GM. Front offices will always be tempted to hone in on certain positions of highest need with first-round picks and beyond, but Berry refuses to budge — he believes the approach should always be about picking whichever player will offer the longest-term impact to the team.
- Myles Garrett says Cleveland Browns’ defense ‘scary’ with Jadeveon Clowney addition (ESPN) - Myles Garrett is salivating at the team’s potential after seeing the free-agent additions made by the Cleveland Browns this winter. With Jadeveon Clowney coming aboard, Garrett said the Browns’ defense will be better. Maybe even dangerous.
- Chiefs acquire OT Orlando Brown in trade with Ravens (NFL.com) - The Kansas City Chiefs made a splash play to protect Patrick Mahomes’ blind side, acquiring a Pro Bowl left tackle. NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo reported Friday that K.C. traded for Baltimore Ravens offensive tackle Orlando Brown, per sources informed of the situation.
- Panthers won’t decide on Sam Darnold option until after 2021 NFL Draft, admit excitement over QB prospects (CBS Sports) - When the Carolina Panthers traded three draft picks to the New York Jets for quarterback Sam Darnold earlier this month, some assumed the team would no longer be in the market for a top QB in the 2021 NFL Draft. A week ahead of the draft, however, general manager Scott Fitterer has reignited speculation about the club’s plans under center, saying the Panthers won’t decide on Darnold’s fifth-year option until after the draft.
- Steve ‘Mongo’ McMichael is suddenly in a vicious fight against ALS (Chicago Tribune) - Brace yourself. This is not the Steve McMichael you’re used to seeing, this gaunt 63-year-old man propped up on an elevated chair in the corner of his kitchen and struggling with basic movement. It just doesn’t compute.
- NFL memo informs teams of new COVID-19 protocols after vaccinations (Bleacher Report) - The NFL and NFL Players Association announced a number of new health and safety guidelines on Friday to decrease restrictions on vaccinated individuals.