- Browns fifth-round LB Tony Fields II to miss a few weeks with a foot injury (cleveland.com) - Browns fifth-round linebacker Tony Fields II sat out the first day of rookie minicamp Friday, and coach Kevin Stefanski revealed afterward that he’ll be sidelined a few weeks with a foot injury. Stefanski said it’s nothing serious, and indicated that Fields won’t need a procedure on the foot.
- Seven reasons why the Browns could emerge in the AFC (ESPN+) - Cleveland will need to overcome Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Kansas City in order to punch its ticket to Super Bowl LVI. So, the question is why now? Why will the Browns finally be able to get it done this time around? Here’s the reasoning behind Cleveland’s case as a legitimate Super Bowl contender in 2021.
- Browns rookie Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah: ‘My heart is 100% healthy’ (Beacon Journal) - Rookie linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah insisted Friday there is nothing wrong with his heart that will interfere with his NFL career.
- Greg Newsome II’s draft night attire shows he cares about others, equality (Browns Zone) - The clothes don’t always make the man. Sometimes the man makes the clothes into a billboard for causes bigger than himself. Northwestern cornerback Greg Newsome II wore a dark suit to his NFL Draft party at a fitness center in suburban Chicago. What made the wardrobe choice more than a fashion statement were the messages in bright red letters across the back and down the sleeves.
- Broncos WR DaeSean Hamilton suffers ACL tear (NFL.com) - With his future as a Denver Bronco already seemingly headed for a conclusion, DaeSean Hamilton’s 2021 season might well have been ended before it began. Hamilton has torn his ACL, NFL Network’s Taylor Taylor Bisciotti reported Friday.
- Epilepsy community says Chicago Bears’ Justin Fields revealing his condition is landmark moment (Chicago Tribune) - Among the most striking facts about epilepsy is the combination of how common it is and how it has not previously had a very high-profile personality who is public about having the condition. That changed in recent weeks as the Chicago Bears traded up in the National Football League draft to select Justin Fields of Ohio State, one of the top-rated quarterbacks in college football, with the No. 11 pick.
- Fifth-year options are a good measure of NFL draft classes (Associated Press) - Most NFL teams are getting their first glimpse of their 2021 draft class at rookie minicamps over the weekend. As usual, first-rounders draw special scrutiny and while many fans pine for immediate verdicts, we won’t really know how this curious class stacks up until 2024 when teams can exercise fifth-year options on their first-round selections.
- Why NFL offenses need to expand their RPO packages ahead of the 2021 NFL season (PFF) - The run-pass option (RPO) craze that started with high school and college football in the early 2010s has exploded at an alarming rate. In fact, you can no longer watch a football game without seeing at least one of the offenses base its attack on these plays. The infiltration of these concepts is almost complete at those levels of football, but the NFL still lags behind in some ways.