- Mack Wilson says Browns fans will ‘see a different player’ when they watch him in training camp (Beacon Journal) - A case can be made for Mack Wilson carrying the label of most interesting Browns player in training camp. The possibilities for him this summer seem to range from securing a starting job at weakside linebacker to fighting for a spot on the 53-man roster. And the backdrop is a 2020 season that was strange for everyone because of the COVID-19 pandemic but even more eventful for Wilson than most NFL players.
- Mac Speedie clears Hall hurdle, overdue induction (AP) - Mac Speedie spent his life overcoming hurdles both physical and figurative. He’s about to clear another. A quick, sure-handed wide receiver on powerhouse Cleveland Browns teams in the 1940s and 50s, Speedie, who overcame a childhood disease and later delayed his playing career to serve in World War II, is finally being inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
- Could Saints call Browns about a WR trade? (Browns Wire) - The Cleveland Browns are preparing to open their training camp with the hope that they can stay healthy and compete for a Super Bowl in 2021. The New Orleans Saints haven’t reported to camp yet either but already got some bad news that star receiver Michael Thomas will likely miss games this year. With the Saints also hoping to vie for a Super Bowl appearance this year, their first without Drew Brees, could they make a call to the Browns for receiver help?
- What Richard LeCounte III brings to the safeties (clevelandbrowns.com) - Richard LeCounte III entered his final season at Georgia with the potential to become one of the top safeties of the 2021 NFL draft class. But his final year didn’t go as planned.
- Ja’Marr Chase could be playmaker Bengals, Joe Burrow need (ESPN) - His Cincinnati Bengals teammates had already left the field following a summer workout, but rookie wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase was still on the turf at Paul Brown Stadium getting familiar with his job. Chase plotted his place in the offensive formation as he worked on keeping his pre-snap routine and routes as uniform as possible to keep defenders guessing. Implicitly, he expressed the understanding every little detail matters when trying to create separation in the NFL.
- Vikings’ Rick Dennison reportedly out as assistant coach after refusing COVID-19 vaccine (Yahoo Sports) - Rick Dennison is no longer a Minnesota Vikings assistant coach after refusing to be vaccinated for COVID-19, ESPN’s Courtney Cronin reported Friday. Dennison has been the team’s offensive line coach and run game coordinator for the past two seasons.
- Davante Adams, Packers at odds after breaking off long-term extension talks (NFL.com) - After failing to mend even some of the fence shared with Aaron Rodgers, it appears the Packers’ attempt to build a bridge to a future with his No. 1 receiver has also stalled. The Packers and Davante Adams have broken off long-term contract extension talks, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per sources informed of the situation. The two sides have been negotiating a deal for months, but have reached a bad place, Rapoport added.
- New York Jets coach Greg Knapp dies after being struck by car in California (The Guardian) - New York Jets assistant coach Greg Knapp died on Thursday of injuries suffered when he was struck by a car while riding a bicycle near his home in California. He was 58.