Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 2 (7/29/21)
1. A Big Role for Anthony Walker: Last year, LB B.J. Goodson was the Browns’ signal caller on defense, and he played above expectations on a 1-year deal. Despite Goodson’s year, Cleveland tried to aim higher by signing LB Anthony Walker. According to S John Johnson III, Walker will handle that responsibility this year, even though Johnson did it with the Rams in 2020:
#Browns safety John Johnson III said middle linebacker Anthony Walker Jr. is the signal caller on defense and will handle the responsibility well. Johnson filled the role last season for the #Rams and their No. 1-ranked defense.— Nate Ulrich (@ByNateUlrich) July 29, 2021
2. Hollywood Sits Out: The injury bug hit WR Rashard Higgins on the first day of camp, but the vibe is that it won’t sideline him for too long:
#Browns WR Rashard Higgins rolled his ankle in practice yesterday and will sit out Day 2 of training camp today. Stefanski says 'he'll be fine.'— Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) July 29, 2021
Other players not practicing included WR Odell Beckham, S Grant Delpit, OL Chris Hubbard, and WR JoJo Natson.
3. One-Hand Stab from Landry: There wasn’t much to recap from media reports today at training camp, so a play like this from WR Jarvis Landry is featured as a highlight of the day:
4. Early Camp Kicker Competition: You never read too much into a kicker competition on Day 2 of training camp, but according to Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal, K Cody Parkey went just 1-of-5 on his field goals, while K Chase McLaughlin was 5-of-5.
5. Mayfield Sharp Early: Per Jake Trotter of ESPN, Baker Mayfield was sharp with his accuracy in 7-on-7 drills, having only two incompletions. Trotter says, “Baker seems to be in total command at a level he wasn’t to start camp in the past.” That would make sense, considering Mayfield has been throwing to a handful of his receivers privately this offseason.
6. Sprinkled Rain: There was some on-and-off rain during practice, but it wasn’t enough to send the team inside. It may have limited some of the camp updates for Day 2, though.
7. Brownies: CB Greedy Williams returned to practice after walking off with a trainer on Wednesday due to heat-related issues. ... After working with the running backs on Day 1, rookie Demetric Felton was with the wide receivers on Day 2. ... CB Troy Hill and S Richard LeCounte III did not practice due to illness. ... Browns senior advisor Ryan Grigson has been at camp the past two days, per Trotter. ... Much of Thursday’s practice involved installing the offense.
8. Next Up: The Browns will practice on Friday at 2:25 PM ET. It will be the first training camp session of the year open to fans. You must have a ticket in advance (registration is already closed). If you are attending, here is a map showing the parking lots and the new entrance for fans in 2021.